What is the Best Option for a Breast Lift Revision?

I had a breast lift in Dec. '09 Not happy with the results. The left breast is already sagging. Left breast tissue not reshaped just excess skin removed, from what it appears. Right breast was reshaped internally and it feels great. What would be the best revision for the left breast? I don't think a crescent lift alone will be enough because from what I've read in posts written by you (plastic surgeons) skin will sag, areola will be left looking oval shaped not round and results will not be long lasting as when breast tissue is reshaped.

Breast Lift Revision Candidate?

+1

Thank you for the question of picture.

Yes I think you will that benefit from revision of the left breast mastopexy procedure. Also, you seem to have some breast volume asymmetry;  this will be best determined after physical examination...

Breast Lift Revision required...

+1

Hi there-

In my practice, I would definitely recommend re-doing the procedure for you (opening all incisions, with repositioning of the left nipple and breast mound reshaping) completely... You may also want to consider a small implant, depending on your preferences for upper breast shape.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Breast lift revision

+1

In your case I see two things, not enough volume and nipple height discrepancies.  I would correct both if you wanted to be larger.

Sometimes breast lifts need to be revised

+1

I'm not sure why a different technique was used for each of your breasts, but slight revisions after mastopexies are not uncommon.  I think the left breast should be revised with a vertical ("lollypop") lift to to tighten the breast tissue directly and elevate the left nipple-areolar complex.

Bruce Genter, MD
Abington Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift revisions need to be planned carefully

+1

In general, having a revision is the biggest predictor of needing a revision; in other words, statistically you are more likely to need the revision re-done than an original operation. That is why it needs to be planned very carefully. Of course one would need to examine you in order to make a definitive recommendation, but it does look like the left would benefit from being re-done, not just a crescent lift.

No version of a lift without implants has been shown to maintain fullness in the upper part of the breast long-term, but if you like the one on the right, which has a natural slope, then it is realistic to just re-do the left.  

Richard Baxter, MD

Breast lift revision

+1

You need the left breast entirely re-done, raising the nipple areola, re-tightening the skin envelope etc.  After that you will need to heal and settle but should ultimately be much more symmetrical.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Internal lollipop scar breast lift good for revision.

+1

Hi.

From your picture, it looks like you need an internal breast lift on the left.  As you point out, one cannot rely on skin tension for a long term result.  Your left areola needs to be made smaller and brought up.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast lift revision

+1

You will need to have a face-to-face examination for a plastic surgeon to give you an honest recommendation. However, it appears as if the entire left nipple areolar complex should be lifted to match the position of the right side. This will require a circumferential incision. In addition, the lower vertical length of the breast from the bottom of the areola to the inframammary fold needs to be increased and this will require  tissue from the side in a vertical or lollipop-incision pattern. Unfortunately, it also appears as if the right breast is fuller than the left. By doing this revison, the size of the left breast will decrease producing an asymmetry in size. I suspect that you were initially asymmetric in size, shape, and degree of sagging and the challenge for you is to decide on what type and degree of asymmetry you can tolerate as a finial result.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Breast lift revision

+1

The left side is a little saggy- without the benefit of a full set of photos - I would say that a revision of your left side would involve some additional medial and lateral skin envelope reduction, and possibly tightening the lower pole of your breast to promote some additional central breast fullness. Your nipple/areolar complex also needs lifting to match  the opposite side. Your current set of scars could be used to do this revision. You might also consider scar revision to your right side- your areolar scars look angular and the vertical scar looks wide.

You should know that its next to impossible to create perfectly matching breasts for any patient, but I do think a revision could bring a little closer to symmetry.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Implants

+1

Your breasts need to be filled with something - a set of small implants will probably do the trick. You do not need to be made large -- just larger than you are now. 

William B. Rosenblatt, MD