Revision Surgery Only 6 Months After First Breast Lift?

Why would my plastic surgery recommend a re-lift only 6 months after my original Breast lift surgery? Isn't that too soon? Could there be a possibility that he did something wrong? I had a bilateral Mastopexy with lollipop incision.

Revision breast lift surgery

+2

It sounds like you need to have this exact discussion with your surgeon and find out why he or she feels the need to revise your breast lift so soon after your surgery (and this would be considered very soon). While it is true that the clock starts immediately after a breast lift until you will need another one, it should take years for the breasts to drop again before requiring another lift. I wonder what was discussed with you preoperatively about this possibility and in your specific case, possibly needed some kind of second stage, which would not be the usual case. Of course it is better to undercorrect your breasts (which can be fixed by additional surgery) than to overcorrect your breasts (which is very hard to fix), but 6 months seems strange to be re-operating unless there has been a specific issue. Also - is your doctor charging you another fee? What about the cost of anesthesia and facility? I would have hoped that these issues were raised before you ever had surgery so you understood your doctor's policy beforehand.

Best of luck

Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift Revision timing

+1

Without photos - both before and after, as well as an exam it would be impossible to answer your specific question. From the way you phrased it, it would appear that this is a revision either due to an undesirable result, typically this is due to under correction of the lift. Please realize that there are many variables at work and your surgeon does their best job to predict how you will heal which may be quite different from another patient. For example loss of elasticity of tissue varies from person to person and is affected by prior history of weight gain and loss, smoking, ethnicity, age, sun exposure, etc. 6 months in my opinion  is the minimum reasonable time to consider a revision.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Breast Lift revision after 6 months

+1

Thank you for your question,

6 months is a reasonable time frame to consider revisionary surgery of the breast. Often, this can be done in the office under local anesthesia to correct minor things such as: areola size discrepancy, widened scars, areolas too high or too low, etc. Re-doing the entire lift is a different matter. Overall, vertical lifts do not last very long. Wise and vertical type lifts have an inherent weakness - the vertical incision at the point of maximum tension. These techniques rely on the skin envelope alone to 'hold up' your breast. As we all know: skin is simply not strong enough to hold the weight of the breast in place for very long. The Ultimate Breast Lift techique is a new series of established techniques that permanently suspend/anchor the breast by forming straps from your own tissue and attaching them to your muscles below. This takes the weight off the skin extending the life of the lift. There is no vertical scar of any sort. Incisions are hidden around the areola and in the inframammary fold.

Greater strides in breast lifting techniques are making breast lift surgery more alluring and accessible to those who would not have considered it in the past.

Kind regards,

Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation/Lifting Revision Normal?

+1

No, the fact that your plastic surgeon is suggesting revisionary breast surgery does not necessarily mean that he “did something wrong”. The operation that you have undergone does carry a significant rate of “imperfection” and   potential need for revisionary surgery.

Assuming you are working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon, I would suggest that you address your questions/concerns directly to him  for more accurate information.

Wait to revise breast lift.

+1

Hi.

1) I assume you are not happy with your breast lift.

2) The lollipop approach is usually the correct one. So I don't know what went wrong.

3) Wait another 6 months before considering a revision. Your breasts may continue to change. Ask your surgeon what he will do differently next time. Get another opinion.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Not All That Uncommon

+1

Breast lift procedures sometimes require revisions primarily because of rapid skin relaxation. There is only so much you can do at a single operation. The lollipop incision does have the disadvantage of not removeing as much skin as the anchor incision and the tradeoff is less of a scar with the lollipop.

Ultimately it is you who should decide how much you want to do and what trade-offs you are willing to make.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lifting can take on very different procedures

+1

The Breast lifts of the past focused on removal of excess skin. This technique routinely leads to unhappy patients with early recurrence. A better way to achieve beautiful, long lasting results is to reshape and lift the internal tissues of the breast. There are many different techniques available; my favorites are the Lejour technique or Goes technique.

As for your circumstance, without more information there is no way to tell why you are having a reoperation so early after your previous procedure. But keep in mind that cosmetic surgery is an art and almost all surgeons sometimes need two takes to get it right.

Robert M. Freund, MD

It is easier to re-operate on an undercorrected lift as opposed to an overocrrected lift.

+1

In my experience, this does occasionally occur and i have seen it most often with either:

1. Massive weight loss patients
  2. Patients with severe ptosis (sagging)

In these instances the severe skin laxity has a tendency to recur and cause the breast to sag more than in typical cases of moderate or modest cases of sagging.

Furthermore, it is easier to correct a nipple that may have been placed to low rather than correcting a nipple that was placed too high.

Overall the most important factor is your happiness. IF you are satisfied with the results, do nothing. If however, you desire greater correction or lift, I do not see anything wrong or improper with the procedure.

Revision after breast lift

+1

The question you pose is a good one. You should go over the specific details and concerns of the doctor who is suggesting a revision.  Did the implants fall too much, did the breast not get raised enough, were the nipples not placed in the right position, etc.?  Good luck.

Revision after mastopexy should have a clear goal

+1

As surgeons, we are always analyzing our results and balancing those with our patients expectations. In a quest to do better through revisionary surgery, it is best if both you and your surgeon agree that there is a need, and have a clear understanding of what the revision involves, and how the result will be improved. With this understanding, the decision can be an easy one.

Mastopexy occasionally will require a revision of the scar, or of the tailoring, where the skin laxity, and excess was corrected. Sometimes, the closure pattern used the vertical pattern in your mastopexy, does not smooth out as expected. Six months is enough time to know. Still you should understand and appreciate the need for surgery, and of course be sure to check into cost if any.

peterejohnsonmd