Can I Get a Breast Lift and Still Play Roller Derby?

I'm worried about having breast lift surgery and then after healing going back to playing roller derby. Will bumps and bruises damage the effects of the lift?

Breast Lifting and Contact Sports?

+1

You will be able to return to all forms of strenuous activity  (including contact sports) after you have healed completely from the breast lifting procedure. Your plastic surgeon will be able to provide you with specific guidelines when that time comes.

Breast lift and sports activity: Roller Derby Queen

+1

With good supportinve an protective wear, participating in roller derby WILL NOT  effect the lift after the wounds are satisfactorily healed. I do, however, have some concerns about trauma and possible injury to breast implants if performed at the same time.

Ultimately you should be able to resume Roller Derby but the time frame to do so is variable.

+1

As long as an appropriate amount of time is allowed for the incisions to heal there are no permanent limitations to your choice of activity. Each surgeon has their own idea of this healing period. I find that most lift incisions heal sufficiently in three weeks for patients to return to contact sports. In some cases there is an extended healing of four to six weeks before they can expose these incisions to potential trauma.

Even though your incisions have healed adequately to sustain the trauma associated with Roller Derby, your breasts and the scars are likely to remain tender for several months after surgery. You may need to wait this additional time period before you are comfortable enough to resume playing.

David A. Ross, MD

Recovery after Breast Lift

+1

Breast lift surgery is just like any other kind of surgery.  As long as you allow proper time for healing, you should be able to return to your pre-procedure activities without a problem.  Additionally, if you are having a breast reduction in addition to the lift, you may actually find your activities easier.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Breast lift and roller derby

+1

Sure - AFTER adequate healing interval of at least 3 months. But best to see 3 boarded surgeons in your area for their advise and protocols.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Breast Trauma (ie roller derby) after Breast Lift is not a good idea

+1
A breast lift requires time to heal properly. It would be an exceedingly poor idea to be hit on the breasts during the healing process which lasts for a few months. Such trauma may result in wound disruption.

Breast lift and roller derby

+1

I tell  patients that they can go to back to contact sports 6-8 weeks after surgery usually without any problem. Roller derby should be OK after that time.

Contact sports after breast lift

+1

After you heal, you should be able to resume normal activities.  You may want to wear a support garment for added protection.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Protective gear is important for any sport

+1

Just like in any sport, you will need to wear protective gear during roller derby.  You will likely have more of a chance of breaking a bone than of damaging an implant or the results of your lift.  

Most surgeons will require you to take about 6 weeks to recover after surgery and then you should be able to resume sports.

Good luck!

Evan Sorokin, MD
Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon

If you have a breast lift (mastopexy) you should be able to return to any sport after 6-8 weeks

+1

A breast lift will give you a lifted and better shape breast. It requires quite a bit of surgery but when it is healed at 6-8 weeks it should be able to with stand the trauma of almost all sports. Seems I have never been asked about returning to Roller Derby but you should be good to go after a couple of months. 

Carl W. 'Rick' Lentz III, MD