What are My Breast Lift Options? (Photo)

I have 36 C/d sized breast, 5'1" 135 lbs 38 yrs old with 2 kids. I need a lift but don't want the scar. I like the perky look of my younger breasts and would like to remain the same size. what options do i have?

Breast lifts without scars

A true breast lift requires an incision (and thus scar) around the areola and from the bottom of the areola to the inframammary crease. Periareolar (and particularly the "crescent" lift) are not true breast lifts and even the old apporach of seeming to lift the breast using skin tucks (wise pattern) is not a true lift and will stretch back out again. In your situation, the difference in volume could be addressed with liposuction of the right breast with an insignificant scar. This will not lift it or raise the nipple-areola to the level of the left. The simplest true solution would be a small reduction and lift of the right breast through a "vertical" or lollipop type incision to try to match the left side. Most would recommend a lift of both sides with more lift on the right and a small reduction of breast tissue on the right. 

Boulder Plastic Surgeon

I would not recommend breast lift for you

You have nice shape and size breast. You degree of improvement does not justify the incision and scar. Your nipples position is low but low enough to justify the surgery. Lift indicated for a patient that nipple points down or breast touches the chest wall.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift options

Unless you are willing to go smaller, almost all breast-lift procedures will have a significant rate of recurrent sagging. The weight of the breasts is what determines how much sagging you end up with. Of the lift options, I believe the lollipop lift gives the best overall shape with the least amount of scarring. The peri-areolar lift ( donut lift) tends to flatten the breast and the anchor-lift has much longer incisions. If you dont want to change the size, then you might be better off doing nothing.

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift options

There is a new technique for lifting breasts without making your breasts smaller and without the vertical scar. It's called the Ultimate Breast Lift. This technique raises your breast mound high while making your new breast firm and perky. It works for all breast types. Best wishes, Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Surgical Options Associated with Scarring

Every procedure has a risk/benefit ratio.When the starting deformity is relatively mild, the decision making process can be extremely difficult.In your case, the scarring that may occur with breast lift surgery may be a bigger problem for you than your current breast sag.

Under these circumstances, it may be appropriate to leave well enough alone.On the other hand, a variety of surgical options do exist to treat breast sag.Unfortunately, all of these options are associated with scarring.

For these reasons, it’s appropriate to consult a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in this area.This surgeon should be able to discuss all your options including relevant trade-off’s.In the final analysis, you’re the only one who can determine whether the scarring is worth it.

Breast Lift Candidate?

Thank you for the question and picture.

Only YOU  can answer the question whether breast lifting is "worth it"  or not in your specific case. It will come down to how much the the "deformity" (position of the nipples)  bothers you versus the costs ( time, money, scarring)  associated with fixing the “deformity”.

Based on the pictures it is clear that a breast lift will help you by raising the nipple/areola complexes and  tighten up the breast skin envelope.

The operation will likely involve incisions around the areola as well as vertically oriented ('vertical mastopexy"). The trade-off typically seen with breast lifting is improvement in breast position versus the  presence of scars. Whether to proceed with the surgery  becomes a very personal decision that should be made after weighing the pros and cons carefully.

Scars in a breast lift

If you want a breast lift, you can get a push up bra, or get a breast lift surgery.  If you choose breast lift surgery, you will have some scars.  In your case, to really get a satisfying lift, you need a vertical breast lift which means having a vertical scar from the areola towards the breast fold.  There is simply no way around it.
Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD

There are techniques to minimize noticeable scars

The concept behind a breast lift is to remove excess skin from the "envelope"that holds the breast tissue. This will compress the breasts so you may have a little less volume but you will have more tissue in the upper portion of your breast. From looking at your photos it would be difficult to do the procedure exclusively with incision around the areola. You will need to add either a vertical incision from the areola down to the inframmary crease or a horizontal incision in the inframmary crease. The whole idea of a breast lift is to have the nipple at the peak of the breast mound and keep the distance between the areola and the inframmary crease around 4-5 inches. In addition, most plastic surgeons use a "cookie-cutter" metal template to make the new areola approximately 4 cm in diameter. Your areola appear to be larger than that and if you don't want to make them smaller you should let the plastic surgeon know

Joseph M. Perlman, MD

Breast Lift Without Reduction

You can keep your original breast size but have the nipple elevated, more fullness at the top, and the breast fold  shorter using a breast lift.  My choice is to use a short scar (Lejour technique) to accomplish this.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Breast Lift Options to Minimize Scar

There are three ways to do a lift, basically.  They are peri-areolar, vertical (lollipop), and anchor or inverted-T.

The peri-areolar technique tends to flatten the breast, not make it perky, unless an implant is used.  For someone who already has sufficient volume and does not want more, not a good choice.

That leaves the other techniques.  For a patient who does not need much nipple elevation, the vertical lift might be fine.  However, there is a scar on the front of the breast.  This scar usually heals well as a fine line over time.

Sometimes the vertical lift requires the addition of a small horizontal incision in the inframammary fold to remove excess skin in the vertical direction.

Unfortunately, when excess skin must be removed to get elevation, there will have to be a scar on the front of the breast. These trade-offs should be frankly discussed with your plastic surgeon and should be acceptable to you if you want a breast lift that has the potential to give a nice lifted shape.

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon