Breast Lift Options for Asian/Hispanic Patient with Tendency to Form Keloid Scars? (Extremely Saggy 34D Breasts) (photo)

I've seen 3 different PS and they all objected to a lift because of my tendency to keloids. They said that having scars like this in perky boobs wouldn't be any better than having droopy boobs. See pic of keloid scar in my stomach from a small surgery at age 11 (still wide and dark but after 2 scar revisions and many cortisone injections its not raised and deformed like it used to be). I wonder if there's anything at all i could do to improve my breasts shape. Any new or alternative techniques?

Alternative technique for lifting breasts with fewer scars for women who keloid

+1

Dear Rosie,

There is an option that would eliminate the vertical scar if you decided to go ahead with a lift. The Ultimate Breast Lift is a new technique that successfully reshapes and provides longevity to your lift without the need of a vertical scar. This procedure does not guarantee that you will not develop keloids, but it certainly keeps scars to a minimum. I have performed this procedure on countless of women who are prone and have had a history of devoloping keloids with great success. However, there have been a few that have had no history of keloids and have had to undergo painful scar mgmt. treatments. There is promising news, development of keloids generally decreases as we get older.

Dr. H

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift for someone that Keloids, is it possible?

+1

Difficult question to answer, but I agree with the rest of the responses, just because you scarred poorly on your abdomen does not mean you will scar poorly on your breasts. I have performed lifts on AA who have keloided horribly on other areas but have had excellent results with scarring on their breasts , likewise some women have scarred poorly on their breasts but had excellent scars elsewhere. Ultimately it is up to you! Good luck

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift and Resulting Scars?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Breast lifting will be necessary to improve the position of the breasts on your chest wall. As you know, breast lifting does involve some amount of skin excision and some resulting scars. Exactly how you will scar  is not predictable despite having abnormal scarring occurred on other anatomic areas in the past.

Ultimately, you will have to weigh your dissatisfaction with the current position/size/symmetry of the breasts  against the worst-case scenario of abnormal scarring that may occur after breast lifting surgery.

Breast lift scarring

+1
Dear Rosie, Thank you for the question and the photos. You look like you could benefit from a breast lift however you would have to weigh the options of having perkier breasts against the higher risk of developing keloids. Certain measures can be taken to minimize the scarring using smaller incisions, post operative scar therapy. It is also important to note that different areas of the body scar differently and the breasts are more forgiving than other areas. Best of luck with your decision.

Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS

Scars in one area does not guarantee scars in another

+1

As Dr. Stoeckel wrote, scarring doesn't guarantee more scarring but you are certainly at a higher risk for developing thick scars.  To create a more perky appearance, surgery is needed and with that, the acceptance of whatever scars develop.  Since you know you are prone, it would be prudent to enlist some sort of scar therapy post-operatively in anticipating that scarring could develop.  If you are desiring implants, it would be prudent to stay on the smaller side than going for the biggest possible.  Regardless, as long as you are willing to accept the potential for poor scaring, you should be able to find a surgeon who will work with you to help you achieve the result you desire. 

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast lift with keloids

+1

There really is no way to lift your breast and tighten the loose skin envelope without cutting and removing skin. Just because you have had a problematic scar on one part of your body does not necessarily mean that you are destined to have poor scars elsewhere, but it certainly increases your risk. I have completed breast lift/reduction surgeries on patients prone to poor scarring with very nice results and great scars. I have also completed the same surgery on patients who have no history of poor scarring who have ended up with less than ideal scars. What I can say is that the vertical scar rarely is a problem, but horizontal scars and areolar scars can be an issue. If you are willing to take the risk, I would find a board certified plastic surgeon who can offer you a breast lift procedure that uses internal breast shaping sutures and avoids the horizontal scar seen with the "anchor" or "wise pattern" technique. If there is no tension on the skin closure around the areola, the chances of poor scarring is still small, even in your situation.

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon