Can a Breast Lift Be Operated on Someone Who Has Already Had a Breast Augmentation?

I had breast implants 4 months ago after having 2 children and realise that in order to achieve the look I wanted implants were not enough and I should have got a breast lift. Can I now go ahead and have a lift with already having implants?

Breast Lift after Breast Augmentation?

+2

Yes, it should be no problem to have breast lifting done after previous breast augmentation surgery. I would suggest you wait until approximately one year after your initial surgery before making further decisions. Exactly what type of breast lifting you will benefit from will depend on your physical examination;  assuming you're working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon, he/she  will be able to advise you best.

Breast lift is possible after augmentation!

+2

At 4 months post-augmentation, you have not completely softened and settled, but you are close, so if it is a clear need for breast lifting, waiting additional time will NOT change your assessment.

A breast lift is certainly possible after augmentation, though it can be a bit more difficult if your implants were placed above the muscle. Below the muscle is how I perform the majority of my breast augmentations, and this poses no special concerns to add a breast lift later if required.

In fact, I often recommend borderline ptosis (breast drooping or sagging) patients undergo augmentation alone, saving many of them the unnecessary expense and scarring an "automatic" breast lift plus implants would incur. If things soften and settle appropriately and implants alone yield a great result, well, there you go!

If, however, a lift is still necessary, then it can be added at a second operation. I generally charge the difference between a breast augmentation and a breast lift plus augmentation for the second procedure, taking the financial question out of the decision equation.

In some cases, new smaller implants may be necessary for use with your lifted breasts, but in many others, the previously-placed implants can be used without concern. Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift After Augmentation

+1

You are now 4 months after your breast augmentation surgery.  You should be fine to proceed with a breast lift procedure.  Best of luck.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Breast Lift (mastopexy) after breast Aumgmentation

+1

Breast augmentation is performed to increase the size of the breast whereas breast lift (mastopexy) is a separate procedure that raises the nipple areolar complex and reshapes the skin-breast envelope.  Breast lift can be performed by itself, before breast augmentation, at the same time as breast augmentation or after breast augmentation.  It is best discuss the pros and cons of which is most appropriate with your surgeon.  

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants and Breast Lift

+1

Yes, you can have a breast lift following breast implants.  In fact, some surgeons do a lift and breast implants in two separate procedures because they feel they obtain a better result with 'two stages".  There are various types of lifts, so check back with your surgeon about his/her recommendations for you.  All the best, "Dr. Joe"

Joe Gryskiewicz, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift after implants

+1

A breast lift is commonly performed after patients have breast implants in place. Sometimes the implants are treated as well with smaller or bigger implants or pocket adjustments.

Mastopexy (breast lift) after augmentation

+1

If your mounds have settled to a satisfactory position, you may proceed with a lift.  Waiting a couple of months would be beneficial but not mandatory if you are willing accept the risks of continued settling, which after 4 months, is rather minimal in my opinion. 

If your lift is not considerable, you could even consider having it done in the office under local anesthetic to save you the costs of an operating room.

You should discuss your concerns with your surgeon and proceed if he/she feels they can meet your expectations.  Best wishes in achieving the look you desire.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast lift after augmentation

+1

You can have a breast lift after breast augmentation. There are differing philosophies among plastic surgeons about whether to perform augmentation and breast lift together. I almost routinely perform them together in a woman with not too much sagginess. I would recommend you follow up with your plastic surgeon to review your options and determine how long you should wait before having the second procedure.

I hope this helps

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Lift after augment.

+1
as you have heard. WAIT. let things really settle then look in to it . I much prefer doing this in 2 stages if there is a question. often things will settle enough to not need the lift and the extra expense and scars.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift can be perfect after breast augmentation

+1

Breast lift after breast augmentation is the perfect way to correctly assess the best lift, and the breast has had time to blend and shape with the implant and show just what type of lift is best. When individuals are in doubt about whether to have a lift at the same time, our advice is wait and see, just as you have done. The lift later will be just fine.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com