Will a Breast Lift Improve the Appearance of my Breast? (photo)

I'm 32 YO, 34D, have not had children/breastfed (and won't). I have always hated the appearance of my breasts and would like to do something as non-invasive as possible, but with the longest term results. Viewing the pictures, would mastopexy alone achieve desirable results? Could this procedure reduce the size of the areolas? Would it make my breasts and nipples perkier? (I really don't want implants!) Any suggestions/observations based on the pictures would be appreciated. Thanks!

A lift will help

+3

There are really two requests here, smaller nipples and a higher, perkier breast.  Since you don't want implants the final result will depend on how much scarring you will accept when all is said and done.

A donut or peri-areolar lift will reduce the size of the aerola and limit the scar to just the outer edge of it.  It will relocate the nipples somehwat higher but it won't really make you perkier by itself.  To get both goals accomplished you will need to have a vertical scar dropping down from the nipple, either a vertical lift or a Brunelli lift.  The only way beyond that to get all of your breast up on your chest so that none of it hangs over onto your tummy is a full mastopexy with both a vertical scar and a scar going across the breast fold.  It is up to you once you know the pros and cons of each procedure to decide which one will make yo feel better about your breasts.

Breast Lift Candidate?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Only YOU  can answer the question whether breast lifting is "worth it"  or not in your specific case. It will come down to how much the the "deformity" (position of the nipples)  bothers you versus the costs ( time, money, scarring)  associated with fixing the “deformity”.

Based on the pictures it is clear that a breast lift will help you by raising the nipple/areola complexes and  tighten up the breast skin envelope.

The operation will likely involve incisions around the areola as well as vertically oriented ('vertical mastopexy"). The trade-off typically seen with breast lifting is improvement in breast position versus the  presence of scars. Whether to proceed with the surgery  becomes a very personal decision that should be made after weighing the pros and cons carefully.

Improved appearance with breast lift

+2

I would generally agree with the responses so far except that I don't agree that a lift will increase central projection (which makes the nipple-areolas look perkier) and that a lift tightens, adds tone, or gets rid of looseness. A properly done lift using a lollipop (vertical) incision will allow for a true lift of the breast tissue which should be long lasting and should give the breast a more balanced and perkier look including the perception of improving the upper pole scallop without actually filling it out with fat or an implant. I would caution against periareolar or "crescent" type lifts as these generally do not allow for a true lift of the entire breast and/or good control over the areola size/shape. I also don't feel that fat injection into the female breast has been established well enough in terms of potential long-term issues with breast cancer. A true lift of the breast tissue should accomplish most of what you're looking for and shouldn't have any long term issues to worry about with the scar being the main trade-off.

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift

+2

A breast lift procedure would probably achieve what you want. Your areola can be reduced, the breasts can be lifted, and if you do not want more volume, then you do not need an implant.  An exam is key to establish your goals.

+2

Yes is the answer to all your concerns. But it is a trade off for "perky" breasts with possible scars. Seek in person evaluations with boarded PSs in your area. 

Will a breast lift improve the appearance of my breast?

+2

A breast lift will lift the nipple position, reduce the amount of breast overhang, reduce the areolar size, and push your tissue up so that you will get more fullness behind the nipple and the mid portion of the breast.  What a lift will NOT DO is give you any greater fullness in the upper pole of the breast...only implants will fill out the upper portion of the breast.  The trade off is the scars of a breast lift, which sometimes do very well over time (a year or longer), and sometimes are not as inconspicuous as patients would like.  The more you dislike the sagging of your breast, the more you may be willing to trade it for the scars of a breast lift.  "Perky", however, if perky means full and youthful to you as it does to some other women, may require implants to give you more upper pole fill.

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Breast lift would be the only option to give the projection and reduce the aerola size

+2

You will get the result with the lift. There are many different options for the lift. The decision on the type of the lift depends on the surgeons preference and patients condition.Please make sure to see more than one board certified plastic surgeon.I offer my patients fat grafting for the upper breast fullness and you can check my web site for examples.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift for the new you

+2

Your breast is normal and natural and attractive compared to many, though if you truly hate your breast, a lift will reduce the areola and lift, snug, and firm your breast. The 'vertical' or lollipop pattern will suit you best, though breast lift is certainly not noninvasive. so be sure you understand the scar.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Breast lift to improve appearance

+2

I think you would benefit from a mastopexy or breast lift.   This will reduce the size of your areolas, lift your nipples to a more "perky" or aesthetic position, and remove loose skin to tighten up the breast envelope creating firmer breasts.  The amount of fat and breast tissue that you have will not be changed, but just compacted into a tighter package!   Some patients choose to have implants placed as well in order to increase the size of the breasts and create more upper breast fullness or roundness.    The downside of a breast lift procedure is scars, but usually this is very well-tolerated as they tend to heal well in most people and the benefit of improved shape and appearance far outweighs having some scars hidden beneath the bra/swim suit.  Good luck! 

Michelle Spring, MD

Breast Lift without implants

+2

From your pictures you could benefit from a breast lift that would results in smaller nipple areolar complex, lifted breast mound and perkier breasts. It will give you a improved breast shape and form if done correctly. The two trading negatives to having a full breast lift with out the implants is the scaring on the breast and the inability to get a full correction of the upper pole fullness of the breast that the implants help correcting.

Good luck!

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon