Will a Breast Lift Improve Skin Texture or Just the Shape?

I am 31 years old and have lost 60 lbs. I want to get a lift because my breasts are droopy, but I also want to improve what appears to be excess skin on my breasts. A light squeeze of my breast makes the skin very crepey. If I pinch the skin, I can easily get a large amount of skin between my fingers without any fat. After pinching the skin on the breast, the skin doesn't immediately spring back into shape like it does if I pinch my arm, for example. Can a breast lift fix these skin issues?

Breast Lift to Improve Shape and Tighten Skin

+1

Breast lift improves shape and tightens the skin envelope.  It does not improve the intrinsic properties of the skin.

Results after breast lift

+1

Breast lifts are done to change the position of the breasts on the chest wall, increase cleavage, reposition of the areola, change shape and resect excess skin.  If enough skin is resected then the tone will increase and the skin will retract after pinching.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and skin texture

+1

Breast lift alone will improve appearance of the breast and remove excess skin but will not change skin texture. You may consider adding an implant as well to improve upper pole fullness and fill the volume loss due to your weight loss.

Shahriar Mabourakh, MD, FACS
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Effects of breast lift on breast skin

+1

From your description a breast lift will help but not entirely eliminate the changes that you have experienced in your breast skin.  A breast lift by a board certified plastic surgeon combined with measures to improve skin quality is your best combination.

John Q. Cook, MD

How to tighten the breast skin

+1

A breast lift will reshape the breast tissue and then tighten the skin around the tighter breast. It will tighten the skin but will not eliminate stretch marks. The stretch marks will look better though once the breast is tighter. Adding even a small implant might also help depending on how large your breast is after losing so much weight. All of these things can be discussed with a Board Certified Plastic surgeon after a good exam. Have fun and good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Breast Lift and Skin Quality

+1

No a breast lift will not improve skin quality or texture. A lift and implants only improve the shape.  If you have bad skin envelope you also need to be careful about the size of the implant you put in as it can stetch the skin envelope even further.

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Skin texture with lift

+1

Since you have poor quality skin, performing a lift will not return the elastic rebound to it like it did when you were either younger or the breasts were fuller.

Skin texture

+1

Unfortunately, surgery never improves skin quality- it only removes excess skin. Once the skin has been stretched beyond its elastic recoil it cannot rebound to its original position

William Loutfy, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Will Breast lift Improve Skin Texture OR Just Change the Shape

+1

A Breast Lift ( Mastopexy) is an operation to change the shape of your breast.  This surgery cannot restore skin elasticity that was lost due to weight.  Based on the information given, you sound like a candidate for a Mastopexy.  Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) for an evaluation.  Best of luck to you!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Will a Breast Lift Improve Skin Texture or Just the Shape

+1

A breast lift is usually done for one of these reasons:

•elevate the nipple and areola
•remove excess skin from the breast (after weight loss, pregnancy, aging)
•create or restore symmetry

A breast lift will not restore the elasticity to your skin that was lost while the skin was stretched out.

The best way to sort out your options is with an in person consultation. RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.