Do I Need a Breast Lift Along with Implants? (photo)

I'm a 27 yo Romanian who after giving birth have decided to get breast surgery. I have spoken to 2 doctors with different opinions. 1 doctor suggested I would need lifting+implants to achieve my desired look, while the other doctor said implants above muscle will also lift enough. I lost considerable volume in breasts after birth+breast feeding, but distance from the notch on neck to center of nipple is 20cm. Any opinion would be appreciated. Attached are my breasts and also desired outcome.

Breast lift and implants

+2

In order to have a more youthful appearance, you will need some type of lift procedure in conjunction with placement of breast implants.

If you undergo the placement of implants alone, you will likely find that your implant will fall into the skin envelop and be much lower that you want them to be.

I recommend implants under the muscle and a breast lift.

Best of Luck!

Breast implants and breast lift

+2

you have several reasons to consider at least a peri areola lift.

your breast look very long and will continue to do so with just and implant

the picture you show has rounder firmer breasts that require a lift

an implant alone will give you a larger heavier version of your same breasts

Who is a candidate for breast lift?

+2

I am answering this question based on your photos only.  In my opinion, you have a large amount of loose skin in the lower pole of your breast and a breast lift with an implant which is proportional to your body will give the best result.  Placing a large implant above the muscle to try to lift the breast, in the long term, will result in thinning of your skin and more stretching of your skin, and possiblity of implant visibility.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

It depends on the degree of sagging

+2

Dear lady, to know of there is a chance that your breasts can sufficiently be lifted with implants alone you need to take a picture with your arms lifted above your head. If this manoeuvre corrects the hanging there is a chance that an implant will suffice, or perhaps just a lifting around the areola would be necessary. Above or below the muscle depends on the thickness of your own breast tissue. If less than 2 cm thick, I would recommend a placement behind the muscle.

Alexis Verpaele, MD
Belgium Plastic Surgeon

Implants With Lift Or Implants Alone

+2

The key to answering your question is the nipple location.  If your nipple is situated below the fold beneath your breasts (as your photos suggest), you will likely be unhappy with the result of an augmentation alone.  If you choose, you can always have only the augmentation initially and then undergo a mastopexy or lift at a later date.

John Whitt, MD

Need a Breast Lift with Implants?

+2

This really depends on how willing you are to have the additional scars from a breast lift and how large your implants will be. Based on your pictures, including a breast lift is more likely to result in more youthful breast. Some surgeons will do this is stages and you should discuss this with your surgeon.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Do I need a lift along with an implant?

+2

Judging from the photos it appears that you have at least moderate drooping as well as decreased breast volume. I believe that the best results would be obtained by inserting implants under the muscle as well as performing a breast lift with the scar confimed to the areola. This would minimize scarring and maximize result. Of course the ultimate decision as to how to proceed will ultimately be made when you are physically exmained by your surgeon. Good luck!

George Lefkovits, MD

Breast lift and augmentation

+2
It is possible that, to achieve the size you desire, a submuscular implant would be adequate. This would depend on the laxity of the breast tissue and your main goal. Ideally, an augment/pexy would be excellent but not everyone wants to undergo this procedure either because of scarring or the costs. Your expectations are the most important consideration. Often I advise patients that they must have the combined procedure but, in your case, you may have the implant only option.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Do I need breast lift in addition to implants (photo)

+2

Nipple to notch looks longer than 20cm in picture (23-24cm), OR your inframammary creases may be naturally high.  It is difficult to make this determination definitively online, because the precise relationship between your nipple and inframammary crease, your skin elasticity and quality, and the size of implant you will tolerate all influence the need for formal mastopexy in addition to augmentation.  Your areolae are large, and will likely enlarge furthet with implants.  Mastopexy is a good way to control this, or reduce areola diameter.  While you may not NEED mastopexy, and lowering the inframammary crease and placing large implants may further obviate the need for mastopexy, over time, as implants settle and skin stretches to accommodate them, without mastopexy, your result will deviate further and further away from the desired outcome demonstrated in your submitted photograph.

Steve Laverson, MD

Breast Augmentation and Breast Lifting?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

I think you may benefit from sub muscular (dual plane)  breast augmentation and vertical mastopexy. Based on  your body type I would suggest silicone gel implants. Of course in person examination will be definitive.

Be careful about having breast augmentation or  breast augmentation/ circumareola mastopexy performed-  I think you will likely be disappointed with the results.