Downtime For Breast Lift with Implants? I Am a Daycare Teacher.

Hello.If I decide to have a breast lift with implants for how long would it be recommended for me to stay home from work? I am a daycare teacher. Thank you.

Breast Lift and Returning to Work

+4

Most of our patients who undergo a breast lift(mastopexy) and augmentation procedure are back at their work within a week.  We do recommend that our patients avoid heavy lifting for three weeks from surgery but we encourage them to get back into their normal routines as soon as possible.  Certainly discussing this with your coworkers ahead of time if you feel comfortable doing so will allow them to plan how to help you during your first few days back at work.

This is a great subject to discuss with your plastic surgeon who should be able to guide you in your planning your needed time off.  Because they are performing the surgery and know what type of lift is being performed they can be more exact on your restrictions after your surgery. Good Luck.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Recovery time after breast augment/mastopexy

+4

Generally I recommend that mastopexy patients refrain from work for at least 10-14 days postoperatively. However, in your profession, which involves lifting children, I would modify the general rule and recommend a 3 week absence both to enable you to heal and to attempt to preclude exposure to any colds or viruses that small children are susceptible to for a longer period.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Downtown after breast lift and implants.

+3

Typically patients after a lift and implant placement, in my practice, are back to work after a long weekend. With that said, I do not want my patients to lift over 20 lbs for the first 4 weeks.  Thus, simply limit your more stenuous activities if you can at work and you will likely recover very well after a long weekend.

Christian Prada, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Downtime for Breast Lift with implants...

+2

When a patient decides to have surgery it is important to know what kind of recovery time will be necessary.  A Breast Lift with Implants requires patients to take it easy for approximately one week, with no heavy lifting for 2 weeks.  During a breast lift, the surgeon makes incisions into the breast tissue while removing a minimal amount of tissue and suturing everything together, leaving a more uplifted breast.  Typically, there is not much pain.   When Implants are also performed at the time of a lift, the surgeon normally places the implant below the muscle, which then can be more painful requiring some recovery.  I would make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon to see if you are a candidate for this procedure. 

Shain A. Cuber, MD
Edison Plastic Surgeon

Recovery from a breast lift with implants.

+2

In general, a week off from work is sufficient. However, for the first ~4 weeks or so, it is recommended to refrain from lifting greater than 20lbs. As a daycare teacher,you may need assistance in the classroom for a few weeks.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Time Off Work After Breast Lift/Augmentation

+2

Following a breast lift/augmentation I usually counsel my patients to anticipate a week off from work assuming their job does not involve heavy lifting.  In your case, it is possible that you may return to work in 5-7 days with the understanding that you are to avoid heavy lifting and direct blows to the chest.  Your job is certainly an active one, however, and only you know the degree of limitation that you can count on while at work.  If the children behave, no doubt you can return to work sooner rather than later.  I wish you all the best!!!!!

Louis DeLuca, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift with implants

+2

Everyone's recovery is different. In general, a few days at home should be fine, followed by desk work only. If you have to lift heavy objects I would wait a few weeks.  Bleeding is the enemy of these types of surgeries, and too much actiivity too soon can precipitate this.

Breast augmentaion with breast implants

+2

Breast surgery with implants and traditional breast lifts can give wonderful results.  This type of surgery can be performed as an outpatient, and time away from work could be as short as one week, or as long as two to three weeks.  A proper consult with a board certified Plastic Surgeon would be highly recommended

Congratulations on your decision to   move forward  with a desire to improve your shape.  The rewards for this decision could be very high.  Please seek proper evaluation, however.

Good luck.

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

Down time after breast augmentation and lift

+2

You should discuss down time and all aspects of your recovery with your plastic surgeon.  In general, 1 week off from work is sufficient, but I instruct my patients to avoid heavy exertion of the arms and chest for 4 weeks so that the tissues can heal.  On the other hand, I also instruct  them to resume their everyday activities as soon as possible.  Laying around and getting stiff is always counterproductive.

Bruce Genter, MD
Abington Plastic Surgeon

Daycare Downtime

+2

I generally recommend taking approximately one week off from an office type job, four weeks off from lower body exercise, and a full six weeks off from upper body exercise/ lifting. I f you have a physical job description, you may want to extend your time off of work.

William Loutfy, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon