Do I Need a Breast Lift or Would Implants Alone Look Okay?

i previously asked a similar question but didnt provide a side view so.. im getting breast implants but my PC tells me it would look better with a breast lift around the areola. Im only 20 but my breasts are kind of droopy because of weight loss.. :( will the scars be very noticeable?? do i have ptosis or pseudoptosis?

Breast Implants and Breast lifts

+3

Hello CharlieCharlie5555,

You stand at the crossroads and have a chance to do the right thing.  I've reviewed the 14 previous expert answers and noted that a vast majority have answered augmentation alone.  Many seemed to indicate that larger implants will help lift your breast.  I believe that if you heed their advice you will be the next woman on this forum after your surgery asking why her result isn't what she thought it would be.

My dear, your chest is broad and lean, and your breasts are relatively narrow with what appears to be a high inframammary fold.  Your nipple position seems to be at the level of your fold.  Large implants, high profile implants, or implants over the muscle will not serve you well, and will not do what a lift will: create a pretty breast mound with the nipple on the most projecting part, above the inframammary fold.

Regardless of whether or not you choose to have a breast lift (and I believe you would benefit from one), it is crucial that you get an appropriately sized implant that will fit within the confines of your anatomy.  Based on the photographs you sent, I believe that the proper implant size might be smaller than you were hoping. The presense of breast ptosis should NOT be used as a criteria that will influence the choice of implant size.

Best of luck.

Lift and implants?

+2

Your photos are a good indication that you will only need implants.  It is my experience after 40 years that your IF your NIPPLE is half way between your shoulder and elbow that you will have a beautiful result from and augmentation.  Please consider doing GEL implants.  I have been using these for a long while and know that they are superior to saline.  Also, ask your surgeon how often he has to deal with capsular contracture.  This is a technical problem and a really good surgeon will only experience a few in his career.  IMPLANT SIZE is unlimited for women such as you, whom do not need a lift at the same surgery.  

Make sure that you can try sizers in the consultation and that the surgeon is using gel implants.  If these are not offered, try another doctor.  It is more comforting to you when these 2 things occur.  

Caveat:  Much less guessing

Robert B. Winslow, MD (retired)
Folsom Plastic Surgeon

To lift or not to lift?

+1

It seems that you have had a wide array of answers and I hope this has not confused you.  Based on your photos, I would not recommend a breast lift for you.  You do not look like you have ptosis or pseudoptosis. 

I recommend you seek a second opinion so that another plastic surgeon can examine you and give an opinion based on that exam.  Hopefully, seeing someone else and talking to them face to face will allay you concerns.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant & uplift

+1

No ptosis is apparent from the photographs. I would think implants alone should give pleasing results.

Anindya Lahiri, MBBS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Augmentation and lift

+1

It appears frrom the photos that an implant would be enough to augment the breasts with enough lift. Keep in mind that the shape of the breast is determined by volume of breast tissue and skin envelope.

From the photo, the nipple areola complex is at or above the inframammary crease. It also seems the top of the left areola is slightly lower than the other side. Therefore an areolar approach for the breast augmentation may be the best incision to achieve symmetry. A crescent of skin can be removed using the areolar incision.

Discuss this with your board certifed plastic surgeon about the periareolar incision for your breast augmentation. I am sure you will have a terrific result.

Andrew Turk, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

No implants

+1

I would suggestthat yor implants be placed in the subfascial position. (The larger implant the more lift)  Using an internal transitional mesh support  bra will give you an internal lift.   I do not believe you  willt need an external breast lift with extra scarring. This could always be done later if necessary

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

+1

based on the photos alone i believe that implants alone will correct the problem.  This will fill out the upper portion of your breasts with the least amount of scaring

Robert D. Goldstein, MD
Bronx Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift with Augmentation

+1

It is very difficult to tell from the picture presented whether you have any ptosis or even pseudoptosis. It appears as if you do not and would do quite well from just an implant. Since you are contemplating a preiareolar lift, an excellent alternative is to do the augmentation and look at the results. If you are unhappy, then a lift is a simple thing in the office later.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Breasts implant surgery sometimes needs to have a simultaneous lifting to achieve optimal results

+1

Patients often come to the office seeking breast augmentation when in fact they also need a lifting  because of drooping. If the sagging is only minimal then just the breast augmentation may suffice. If there is a moderate degree of drooping then a lifting using a preiareolar incision( cut around the areola) becomes necessary to achieve the optimal result. If the drooping is more than just moderate other incisions may also be necessary. An experienced Board Certified plastic surgeron can help guide you in making this decision. Your photos suggest that you probably could benefit from a preiareolar lifting.

George Lefkovits, MD

Breast implants with or without a lift

+1

The decision about whether or not to have a breast lift depends on a couple of issues:

1.  Nipple position as measured from the collar bone and sternal notch

2.  Nipple size

3.  Distance from infra-mammary fold to nipple

4.  Position of the breast tissue relative to the nipple

5.  Size of implant will have some influence.  A larger implant may obviate the need for a lift in a select few cases.

In your case, I do not see a clear indication for a lift and therefore, an augmentation alone would probably be the right procedure for you.  I do not have the luxury of examining you so I would defer to your plastic surgeon.  I would ask him what the reason is for the lift recommendation and make sure that it makes sense to you.  If it does not, then I would consider seeking a second opinion.

Jeffrey E. Kyllo, MD