Breast Lift with Implants?

4 months post breast procedure. Left breast painful under arm and near lower sternum. Had sonogram and MRI. Showed hematoma. Had 2nd surgery last week. PS said I had a nerve that was entrapped. Since surgery, pain still in left breast, feels firm tight and heavy. PS said I have another small hematoma and it should resolve. What are some thoughts or suggestions? Thank You.

Complications following breast augmentation surgery

It sounds like you had some difficulty with complications following your original surgery.  It is unfortunate that you had a hematoma but this is a known complication and does happen from time to time.  If the hematoma is large and not drained then there is an increased risk of the development of a capsular contracture.  As far as your breast pain, this is not uncommon and will most likely resolve with massage and time.  

3096 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
Duluth, GA 30097

Breast lift and hematoma?

At one week post-surgery , discomfort is common. I suggest you follow closely with your surgeon.  As for the hematoma depending upon the size will determine if it needs to be evacuated.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Nerve Entrapment after Breast Surgery

What was the nature of the second surgery? It is possible to have scar tissue bands develop around one of the nerves supplying sensation to the nipple areolar complex.  Does the pain start lateral on your chest wall and move to your nipple areola complex?   If it does it may get better over time.  A local anesthetic block may be both diagnostic and therapeutic.  Massage in the area will help if scar tissue is the issue, as well as possible steroid injection.

435 North Roxbury Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Pain After Breast Augmentation #breastimplants

You are just one of the unlucky few that have this complication. Surely a hematoma can lead to a bit more scarring and possibly increased risk of capsular contracture. None of us can tell you it will cause capsular contracture because we only have theories on how capsular contracture occurs and not hard evidence. The hematoma can certainly lead to some scar around those nerves and over time it usually will resolve. It may take 6-12 months for some of the twinges and aches and sharp pains to completely resolve. It sounds like your surgeon is handling things in the correct manner.

Richard J. Brown, MD

11000 N Scottsdale Rd.
Scottsdale, AZ 85254

In most circumstances hematomas around breast implants should be drained.

A hematoma that is not drained around a breast implant is associated with a higher incidence of capsular contracture. It might also explain the pain you are experiencing.

365 East Paces Ferry Road, NE
Atlanta, GA 30305

Pain after revision surgery

Without photos, and without knowing what actually was done at the second operation, any suggestions would be guesses based on incomplete info. Why, for example, does you surgeon think you have another hematoma. 

It is not unusual to still have pain a week after surgery, but the tightness and heaviness may suggest a problem. Follow up with your surgeon. Please consider posting photos and info about the second surgery.

Thank you for your question, best wishes. 

1110 112th Avenue NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

Complications After Breast Surgery

Thank you for your question. I am sorry that you have had a difficult recovery.  Drainage of a hematoma should resolve most of the difficulties you are having. It is uncommon to have to go back in to drain another hematoma.  Most patients recovery uneventfully thereafter.  The pain you are having is atypical, but most patients pain after surgery usually resolves after a couple of months.  As long as you are healing normally at this point, I would not recommend further intervention.  With time most of the issues you are experiencing should resolve.  Some times the better part of valor is to wait patiently for things to get better.  Best wishes.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

6499 E. Broad Street
Columbus, OH 43213