Breasts Too Spaced Apart After Augmentation and Lift

My breasts were sagging and I was a 34 B so decided to have surgery. It's been 2 weeks since I had Breast Lift and Augmentation (255 cc) combined with an abdominoplasty. Right now, my breasts are high and tight, but what worries me the most is that they are too spaced apart. Will they drop and come closer together when the swelling subsides, as I would like a nice cleavage.

Too soon to tell

+3

At this point, it is too soon to tell what your final result will be. You might have swelling in the midline making your cleavage look less than it will after a few more weeks of settling. It may also be that your implants were too narrow for your chest wall and may never get the proximity in the midline you want. It may also be that your own body just won't allow as much cleavage as you were wanting.

The key thing is to be patient and let the healing take place and work with your surgeon to get to the best outcome for you.

Cleavage After Lift

+2

Congratulations on your recent surgery!  I hope your results are all that you seek.

The space between the breasts is determined by:

• the position before surgery
  • distance between the nipples
  • the curvature of your rib cage
  • the width of your breast bone (sternum)

There is really nothing a plastic surgeon can do to create cleavage in the sense that the breasts touch each other even without a bra.

• Implants add volume so you can push the breasts together with a bra.
  • Breast lift improves shape and position of the breasts and nipples, but you still need to use the bra to "smoosh the breasts together for the amount of cleavage you want to create.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

It all depends on your anatomy

+2

Some of what you can expect as your final result wil depend on what you looked like before your procedure. Some women have breasts that are quite far apart, and there is simply no way to bring them as close together as we would like without using a very large implant (even in those cases, it will not always give us the look we want).

One of our jobs as plastic surgeons is to spend some time with you before surgery and explain what results you can realistically expect to have-- hopefully you had this conversation, but if you didn't, just remember that every patient's anatomy is different, which means that as surgeons our goal is to make you look YOUR best, and sometimes that means that your breast cleavage may not be as dramatic as you would like.

In the meantime, I would recommend patience and wait and see what your final result will be, but discuss your concerns openly with your surgeon.

Good luck,

Dr. Salemy

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

It may be possible to bring the implant pockets closer together.

+2

To sufri,

Hi! Unfortunately, your breasts will not change very much. But be optimistic, because nothing should be done for 6 months in any case.

In 6 months, you may come to like your new breasts. If not, get a couple of evaluations. It is often possible to create more cleavage, but it does depend on your exact anatomy.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast position after breast lift with augmentation

+1

Some changes in breast appearance will probably occur for several weeks after surgery, and the implants may 'settle" somewhat. The distance between where the breasts are located on the chest, and which creates cleavage, is usually only minimally affected by this surgery, if at all.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

No, your implants will not spontaneously come closer together

+1

Many patients are desirous of the look of a  pronounced cleavage and believe that a breast augmentation will automatically result in this look. However, such a result cannot be guaranteed unless your anatomy allows it to happen. If your breast bone is wide and your breasts are naturally set wide apart the likelihood of achieving a pronounced cleavage from a breast augmentation is small to none.

Your surgeon should have been able to predict prior to the surgery your chances of success in this area. At this point, after the surgery, there is no chance that the breasts will spontaneously move closer together. It is possible that a second operation could position the implants closer to each other by adjusting implant space and or increasing the size of the implants' base diameter. In doing so the surgeon must be careful not to violate certain anatomical aspects of the breast bone.

Any overzealous attempt to create cleavage can result in the increased visibility of the implant edges or a disfigurement known as Synmastia. Both of these problems are difficult to correct. The prudent approach may be to leave well enough alone. Your potential for success from  a second surgery will have to be carefully discussed with your surgeon.

David A. Ross, MD

Breasts too far apart after a breast lift with implant

+1

After a breast lift with implant it is possible to notice a malposition of the implants. If you feel that there is too much space between your breasts, carefully discussed this with your plastic surgeon. Your plastic surgeon before the surgery should have pointed out the width of your chest bone and how close he can safely bring the implants together. It is also important to limit the dissection of the pocket where your implant will reside especially on the sides of your chest. This will ensure that the implant stays only on the front of your chest and does not move too far to the side. If you are interested in a correction for this deformity, discuss with a plastic surgeon the different techniques that they can use to shift your implant more to the middle of your chest and to help diminish that space between your breasts.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Breast Implant position

+1

Your implants will most likely drop if they are smooth walled.  However, they will not get closer together. Your cleavage is your cleavage and it is very difficult to narrow that region.

Depends on the spacing before surgery

+1

The spacing between your implants depends on the spacing you have naturally between your breasts before surgery. Some women have wide sternums or breast bones and some have narrow sternums. You do not want to have an artificially created cleavage. The skin over your sternum or breast bone is very thin and if the implants are placed too close you are likely to see the rippling and or the edge of the implants. Review your before photos with your surgeon to see how far apart your breasts were before surgery.

Bahram Ghaderi, MD