Do I Need a Breast Lift or Just Implants to Increase Size, Correct Asymmetry? (photo)

I am a 33 year old mom of 3 kids, 5'3", 115 lbs. Done having kids. Breastfed all 3. Prior to kids, I was around a 32C. While nursing, I was a 34D/E (which I hated). Now I am about a 32b/34a (all bras seem different). I am looking to restore fullness, increase size by a little (maybe go back to my small, original C again), and correct asymmetry (nipples are uneven, my left side is smaller). Do I need a lift too, or are there various implants that can correct these issues?

Breast Lift or Not?

+3

I disagree with many of the other doctors that a physical exam would be necessary to determine if a lift is prudent. You appear to have asymmetric breast tissue envelope shapes, causing nipple position asymmetry. This is not well corrected by breast implants alone. Additionally, your nipples are at the visual bottom of your breast, an unfavorable position for breast implants alone.  There are also visual clues that suggest that your inframammary crease is relatively high (breast tissue/nipples are hanging), another unfavorable issue.

I disagree with Dr. Raskin that it depends on your goals.  I have found that patients are rarely overwhelmed with happiness when you don't make their breasts as good as they can look. So, I want my patients to know that their breasts will remain hanging, asymmetric, and with low positioned nipples if they choose implants alone.  Does that sound pretty?

Be sure you visit a few breast specialists that perform all types of cosmetic breast surgery. They will of course be certified by the ABPS and members of the ASAPS.

Lift and Augmentation.

+2

Your nipples look low to me and I think it is very unlikely that you can get the result you are looking for without a combination of lift and augmentation, especially since you want a conservative enlargement (which I agree fits you body build and size well).

The only way to know for sure is to get a consultation, some measurements of where your nipple level falls, and have a frank discussion with a board certified plastic surgeon. I think your goals can be achieved.  Best of luck!

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon

No lift with implants?

+1
You may not need a breast lift, however to determine this you would need a consultation with a surgeon who has experience with performing breast augmentation on breasts affected by mild to moderate sagging. You can consider Allergan Inspira Truform 2 implants with a narrower base width for more projection.

Please see an experienced board certified plastic surgeon to find out whether you are a suitable candidate. Best of luck.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Breast Augmentation or Lift for Asymmetry

+1

It is difficult to see from your photos but it looks like implants alone would solve your problem.  I would have to assess you in person, but it does not appear you need a lift.

Mark A. Schusterman, MD

Augmentation vs Lift-Augmentation

+1

Thanks for sharing your case. I think you will be happier with a lift+augmentation. The augmentation alone will increase the volume but not correct the position of the breast or areola neither the asymmetry. In your case  a circumareolar lift (with the incision around your areola) will likely be sufficient.  The placement of the implant and other details need to be discussed in consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. Best to you.

Humberto Palladino, MD, FACS
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Lift or not

+1

I am not one who believes that implants provide any lift.  You appear borderline as far as needing the lift.  It would depend on how important the nipple location is to you and if you are okay with the scars of a lift.  You could really go either way.  Your nipples are only slightly asymmetric. A lift could improve that, but perfect symmetry is difficult to obtain in any breast surgery.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Do I need a lift?

+1

Thanks for your inquiry. It is hard to completely answer from the picture provided and without a more thorough exam and measurements.  I think you should seek the opinion of an experienced plastic surgeon who does a lot of augmentations with lifts and let him/her tell you why you must need to have a lift or what to expect if you avoid the lift.  Remember you want a beautiful, lasting result.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Options to correct asymmetry and short inferior pole of the breast

+1

Breast implants can help correct the asymmetry of breast volume but not the shape of your breasts.  A breast augmentation may give you an acceptable result but may not give you absolute symmetry.  Since your nipples are pointed down it is possible that a breast lift in addition to a breast augmentation may give you the best result.  It all depends upon the result that you are expecting.  Allergan and Sientra have released shaped gel implants and these may be helpful in your situation to expand the lower pole of the breast and lower the point of maximum projection of the breast.  So you do have options, explore these with your plastic surgeon. 

Small sub-muscular implants with a Mini UBL

+1

Thank you for your photos.

It appears you may benefit from a lift to ensure that you do not end up with the dreaded 'double-bubble' look. I would suggest a small sub-muscular silicone implant in conjunction with a Mini Ultimate Breast Lift. The Mini UBL utilizes a cirum areolar incision along with an internal strapping technique to lift and reshape the female breast. The Mini UBL is not a Benelli. The Benelli lift is very limited as it only lifts the breast tissue in one plane. The MIni UBL lifts the breast in 4 different planes and anchoring securely to your chest muscles to maximize the lift and provide upper pole fullness.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Do I Need a Breast Lift or Just Implants to Increase Size,Correct Asymmetry

+1

I would go with a high profile silicone implant to give you volume and projection.  Keep in mind that you may need a mastopexy (lift) somewhere down the road.  Please see a board certified Plastic Surgeon for your consultation.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon