Breast Lift with Implants Done 1/15/2013 and Have Severe Itching and Redness? (photo)

i have had no breast pain just severe itching and redeness i couldnt see incision site due to tape, so i removed it, had a open spot with a wet looking greenish area, was worried about infection so i called my ps and emailed pics, he said it looked like water got underneath my tape and it looks to be like a yeast rash and to put desatin on a panty liner and wear in my bra and put me on levaquin 750mg for two weeks.....i did have some pus/bloody drainage.what are your opinions?

Redness, Pain and Itching after Breast Lift

+1

The redness that you have there is concerning for a superficial infection.  I would make sure you take the antibiotic as prescribed and follow up closely with your plastic surgeon.  Good luck.

You should be seen by your PS

+1

The redness and localized pus you reported could be indicative of a superficial infection. Itching of the skin from moisture and adhesive is also possible. Make sure you follow up closely with your PS to avoid other potential or more serious complications.

Andres Sarraga, MD
Aventura Plastic Surgeon

Wound Healing Issues or Infection at the T- Junction after Breast Lift

+1

Although this may be a wound healing issue unrelated to allergy or infection, the antibiotics and close followup are prudent.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Breast lift with severe itching and redness

+1

It appears as if you may have had an allergic reaction to the tape. You should improve now that the tape has been removed. Keep the area clean and dry and you may apply a topical antibiotic.

If you develop a fever or have continued drainage you should see your plastic surgeon as soon as possible for a potential infection.

Lisa M. DiFrancesco, MD

Redness and itching after augmentation mastopexy

+1

I think the initial recommendations sound good. Wash well with soapy water, dry and apply dressing to the area. Not sure Desitin is necessary and may harm freshly healing wound. If there is any increase in redness or drainage, and/or fever, that needs to be seen in person by the surgeon immediately. This should get better now that tapes are removed.

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Itching and Redness

+1

There are many factors involved here.  You could have an allergy to tape and skin glue, or you could have some type of breast infection.  It is best to see your Plastic Surgeon as soon as possible for an evaluation.  He may want to culture the area for pathology.   Infected breast implants are very rare, but can happen. 

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Severe Itching and Redness

+1

This looks like a topical allegy with skin reaction to either the tapes, the prep solution, or the bra. I think you would be well served to be seen by your surgeon rather than trying to deal with this problem with just email and internet questions. 

Although this is likely a self-limited problem, I wouldn't want to offer false reassurance over a problem that is better handled in person.

Thanks for your question, and for the photos. Best wishes.