How do I know if I need a breast lift with implants or just a breast lift?

How do I know if I need a breast lift with implants or just a breast lift? Do most women usually get a breast lift with implants to get the best result?

Breast Lift with Implants

+1

The answer depends on your goals. With a breast lift alone, you may end up with perkier breasts with a loss in size. Implants will allow a patient to maintain or increase the size. Consult with 3 - 4 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to explore your options.

Breast Lift with Breast Implants?

+1

Whether or not you will benefit from breast implants as well as breast lifting will depend on your specific goals. In my practice, I like to use the patient's "goal" pictures  to aid in communication.

Generally speaking, if a patient  communicates that she is looking for larger/fuller  breasts that is likely that breast implants will be helpful. On the other hand, if she is looking to raise the position of the breasts on the chest wall,  then breast lifting alone may suffice.

If after careful communication,  the patient still has doubts about breast implants,  I suggest performing the breast lift and allowing her to evaluate her satisfaction with this procedure. If not pleased with the size/fullness etc. then  breast augmentation can be performed as a second stage procedure.

Breast lift with implants

+1

If you want more volume or do not have a lot of volume in your breasts, you  may want to add an implant to yoru lfit procedure.

Whether or not to have implants at the time of your breast lift depends on multiple factors

+1

Hi there-

Obviously your goal for size of your breasts should be considered, but what may not be so obvious is your ideal breast shape...

If you are displeased with a flat or sloping appearance in the upper portion of your breasts, and would like to have fulness in this area, an operation that involves an implant is more likely to achieve your goals.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Do you need implants with a breast lift?

+1

It is usually best to first ask the question, "what is it about your breasts that you would like to improve?".

I like to begin with a discussion of 3 important considerations: location,shape, and projection/size. If the location of your breasts bothers you (does your nipple areola fall below most of your breast tissue), then a breast lift is appropriate. However issues related to shape and projection are difficult to address with simply a breast lift. If shape or projection are also an issue then a breast lift with implants may be a better option.

Nick Masri, MD

Breast lift with or without breast augmentation

+1

Depending on the current size of your breasts and quality of the skin, your plastic surgeon may recommend the use of implants in conjunction with a breast lift. Generally a breast lift bring the breast gland and nipple from a sagging position into a more elevated natural position.

A breast implant can be added to enlarge the entire breast as well as the upper pole, something you may or may not be looking for. In Jacksonville, breast augmentation is individualized for every patient's desires, body type, and tissue characteristics in order to achive the best possible result. See the link below for more info.

Ankit Desai, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Implant or no Implant

+1

Well the answer depends on the desires of the woman. A breast lift will make the breast more perky but make the breasts somewhat small. Most women obviously want the perky look but not the expense of size so implants are used.

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Lifting breasts and augmenting them

+1

In general, if a breast is not too low (ptotic) it will not benefit from a lift procedure (mastopexy). The scars required aren't worth it and it will not be lifted very much or kept from sagging back. In my experience, a breast is too low or saggy for an implant (augmentation) if the nipple is more than two centimeters below the level of the crease behind/below the breast (inframammary crease) in the upright position. In that case a mastopexy is worth it and really the only option.

Breast implants do not lift breasts. They can give the illusion of a lift and "perkiness" but they are only volume and act like a pillow behind the breast. They can provide forward projection and fill in the upper pole of the breast but they cannot lift it. I disagree that they add weight and will cause the breast to sag but they can only fill out and make the breast look bigger. Because of the way implants are sized and positioned if they are to look natural, the smallest increase in size is usually one full cup size.

If the breast is too low it needs a lift procedure. If it is too small then it needs volume and an implant procedure (after the lift if the breast is too low). The two procedures do different things and tend to work against each other as well as have different trade-offs and some increase in complexity because of doing two operations at the same time on the same breast. Unless the breast is clearly too small and too droopy I recommend doing the augmentation and it will look as if it's been lifted by the implant . If it is too droopy for an implant and has reasonable size then a mastopexy alone is the proper procedure. An augmentation can be done later if desired.

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift combined with breast augmentation

+1

Great question!

In general, if you have large breasts, then a breast augmentation will only add extra weight to your breasts, eventually stretching the skin and you will be back to where you started.

The main purpose of an implant is to give fullness in the upper portion of the breast and to give the breast skin a "framework" to drape over.

If you are an A or B cup with loose skin and your nipples are too low, then a breast lift with an implant is an excellent way to go!

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon