Breast Lift & Implant Revision? (photo)

Hi All, I had a lift (lollipop) & round cohesive gel implant under the muscle in 2009. I have never been entirely happy due to the large size which my surgeon encouraged me to get due to women generally wishing they had gone larger post operatively. I would like to be smaller and lifted higher. My question is should I get my implants removed for smaller ones? Have a lift revision to remove the excess tissue? I am about 12E and would prefer to be approx a C cup. I have mentor textured moderate plus 325cc under the muscle. Nipple to nipple my measurement is 26cm, 23cm substernal notch to nipple. The scaring around my areola is very minimal, the verticle scar is a little more but bother me none I am approx a 12 E (34E) and would prefer to be a 12C (34C). I am so self-conscious & want to hide my chest.

Breast Implants and Lift Revision

+3

I agree with my colleagues in saying that your result is certainly good. However, only you can decide what is a good size for you. If you want to go smaller, make sure you dont go too small - otherwise, you'll have excess skin, and will require a verticle component to the scar. If you can go smaller, but not too small, then a scar just around the areola with a small crescent skin resection can help lift the nipple and areola just enough to make a good outcome a great one. Hope this helps, and good luck.

Breast augmentation revision

+2

I think your result is quite good. Though the left is very slightly small than the right the breasts are proportional in size to your torso. I think more is the enemy of better and too much breast surgery creates scar tissue and increases the risk of capsular contracture. If you came to my office I am not sure I would agree to operate on you for fear of making things worse either in the short term or the long term.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Breast Lift & Implant Revision?

+2

Although it may not suit you, I see a nice outcome in the photos.

If you feel your are too large, switching out to smaller implants is a reasonable choice. 

As far as another lift, if you were coming to my office without already having had a lift I would discourage it, because the areolar position is close to normal, and the resulting scar risk would not be justified for the small change in position. However, since you already have a scar around the areola, I would consider it. 

So, although this looks on the photo like a nice outcome, if it does not please you, putting in a smaller implant and having another lift should give you the outcome you are seeking.

Thanks for the question and the photos. Best wishes.

Breast lift and implant revision

+2

It looks like the implant size fits your body proportions, but only you can decide if your breasts are too big as you are the  one who has to live with them.  However, it appears that your nipple position is too low and you could have this revised fairly simply (easier to raise your nipple position than to lower nipples that are too high).

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon

Breast revision surgery and lift

+1

Certainly, you can go smaller and have a revision lift procedure to satisfy your desire to be smaller. It is best to go for a consultation.

Breast Lift & Implant Revision?

+1

From your posted photos in my opinion you will need a repeat full lifting and implant exchange. Understand there could be scars involved. Best to discuss with your surgeon in full full detail Regards 

Revisionary Surgery after Breast Augmentation/Lifting?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Although it is not possible to give you precise advice without direct examination and a full communication of your goals, I think I can provide you with some general advice. Based on your description of your  concerns about your current breast size and the goals  you are trying to achieve, I think you may be best off with downsizing of breast implants AND  additional breast lifting through the existing scars.  Given your situation, doing either one of these procedures alone will either not suffice to achieve your goals or potentially leave you with an unacceptable result.

Again, clear communication with your plastic surgeon will be critical to the success of this operation.

Too large after implants plus lift. Smaller implants and more lift?

+1

You got good advice, followed it, have a good result by most standards, and yet you are unhappy. This means you and your surgeon may not have discussed the alternatives, as well as the attendant pros and cons, enough for you to compare your present result to the one you seem to be contemplating.

Certainly you can have smaller implants if you feel too large. However, 325cc implants add about a cup size and a half to whatever you started with (which was a fair amount of breast ptosis, or sagging). I suspect you wore a C-up bra pre-operatively, but did not fill it well, or perhaps you wore a B-cup, and now want a one cup size enlargement and perky youthful breasts. You did not give your height, but for a women who is about 5'4" tall, your sternal notch to nipple distance should be around 20-21cm, by my estimation from your photographs. This only amounts to a one-inch lift of nipple/areola position, but with only one cup size enlargement, you will need to have your skin brassiere reduced with a full lift, probably not a modified, lollipop, or vertical lift only. And certainly NOT with a periareolar or crescent lift! You will likely require a full Wise pattern (anchor pattern) breast lift to achieve the results you seek. That takes a few hours of operating time, much more cost, and more scars.

Your present results are good, with acceptable scars (your statement). If you understand that small implants (around 250cc for one cup size bigger than pre-op) and a full breast lift will entail all I described above (and a few other things you and your surgeon need to discuss, like smoking status, healing concerns, etc.), then by alll means you are an excellent candidate. You should certainly not be hiding your chest, even now! For an example of one of my patients with a similar story to yours, click on the web reference link below. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon