Will I Need a Breast Lift with Implant Removal?

I had silicone, under the muscle breast implants at 18. At 5'3" and 95 pounds I had almost no breast tissue at all. My implants are relatively small: 200 or 250 cc I believe. I have since gained 10 to 15 pounds and have a bit more breast tissue than I did, but it's really unclear just how much I have. I quickly regretted my choice due to the artificial look of the implants, as well as loss of sensation. I want to have my implants removed, but I want to avoid a lift. Is this realistic?

Lift after removal of implants

+1

It is hard to determine if you will need a lift if you remove your implants.  Since you seem to want to avoid the lift, you may consider taking the implants out and seeing how your breasts heal.  If you are unhappy with how they appear once they are healed you can consider doing a lift at that time.  Depending on your results, you may be able to undergo a less extensive lift than if you did the lift in conjunction with the implant removal.

Katy Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants

+1

It would really be helpful to see photos to be able to even begin to answer your question.  Your description simply does not give enough info to be able to advise you adequately.If you would like you can e-mail photos and I would be happy to look at them for you.  In general, however, most younger women who decide to have their implants removed for whatever reason notice their breasts end up looking pretty much the same as they did prior to getting the implants.   This  depends on some other factors, including weight gain, but if you only gained 10 or 15 pounds, it would only have a slight effect on the appearance of the breasts.

Implant removal and breast lift

+1

Unfortunately, you have not provided any photographs or your bra size.  If you are size 32 or 34, each 100 cc's of implant corresponds to 1 cup size change.  If you are size 36 or 38, each 200 cc's of implant corresponds to 1 cup size change.  Assuming you are size 32, then your breast size will go down 2 1/2 cup sizes.  It is possible that the excess skin will droop and you will need a lift.  However, you could remove the implant and perform a lift through an incision hidden around you nipple.  This may be the best alternative for you.  The surgeon can decide at surgery if you need a lift while using a circumareola approach to remove the implants.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Web reference: http://www.horndeski.com/gallery.aspx

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Implant removal - will lift be needed

+1

This is really difficult to answer without photos and a physical exam.   So I can answer your question only theoretically.  You will likely get some degree of sagging/extra skin after implant removal.  If you are unhappy with your size, perhaps you should consider a downsizing of your implants?  Please visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options. Best of luck.

Web reference: http://www.basuplasticsurgery.com

Implant removal without lift

+1

Thanks for a great question, but witohut pictures it is hard to no for sure, but I am able to offer implant removal alone with lift when your nipple/areolar position is well preserved.

+1

Because the implants are quite small and under the muscle, I suspect if you take them out and wait 3 months for the tissues to adjust, you will probably not need any lift.

Breast implant removal vs lift vs both

+1

Given your body type and measurements, I believe that taking your implants out completely at this point would be the safest way to go in terms of not burning any bridges.  Let the breasts settle before making a decision as to the appearance of your chest.  You may find yourself satisfied with the look of your natural breasts.  However, if you are not, then I would suggest breast augmentation with or without breast lift.  This decision would be based on the appearance of your natural breasts at that time (whether there was significant ptosis or sagging or not).

There is also a second option if you wish to continue with breast implants.  Taking your old implants out and swapping them for something less prominent is an option.  A simple breast lift at the time of implant removal may also be an option, although the trade off may be longer scars.  However, long term loss of nipple sensation will likely not recover with or without implant exchange and may potentially worsen with a breast lift.

Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift Needed after Breast Implant Removal?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Although, generally not possible to give good advice without physical examination I think in your case you will be best served with removal of implants WITHOUT  mastopexy surgery.   This approach will give your tissues the "benefit of the doubt”  allowing the  breast skin to contract back and avoid additional scarring. If the skin contraction is not adequate (and loose skin remains) then mastopexy surgery can be performed at a later date.  

Generally speaking what breasts look like after explantation  depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back),  the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation). 

Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will  potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them  to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.

Consulting with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon in person will be helpful.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastRevision.htm

Breast lift needed after implants removed.

+1

It is very difficult to answer this question without being able to physically examine your breasts/implants. It is possible that you could have the implants removed and not need a lift, but the volume would obviously be reduced. I would seek advice from a reputable plastic surgeon in your area to answer your question more accurately.

Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon