Will I Be Able To Breast Feed After Breast Lift with Implant?

Hi there, I am 24 and was really thinking about having a breast lift with implant. I had significant weight oscillations on the past 10 years. After losing 26 kilograms I've been able to keep myself in shape. Now I weight 52.5 kilograms but my breasts look terribly saggy and full of stretch marks and that is making really upset. I plan on having kids at some point and I'm scared that if I have this surgery I would not be able to breastfeed? Should I wait until I have my first baby? Please help!

Will I be able to breastfeed after breast lift with implant?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! Breast procedures such as the breast lift and breast reduction certainly result in a more shapely, perky, and fuller appearance of your breasts along with raising of the nipple-areolar complex to an appropriate position. Since there is an incision made around the areola along with some rearrangement of tissue of the breast, there is a risk, albeit very small, of change in sensation to the area. However, in terms of breastfeeding, studies have shown that there is no increased risk of changing your ability to do so after breast procedures. Not every woman can breastfeed...thus if you can now, your ability to do so will not change after such procedures. Best wishes!

Breast feeding after breast lift

+1

Breast lift operations are designed to lift the breast tissue around the nipple/areola.  The nipple is NOT removed during the operation but remains attached to the breast ducts and breast gland.  Although your breast tissue itself will change with a pregnancy, you should still be able to breast feed following a breast lift operation.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Breast lift may affect breast feeding

+1

Breast implants can interfere with breast feeding but that is usually not the case.  Any kind of breast lift, however, may disrupt more breast tissue and reduce breast feeding ability.  Consider that:

1. Approximately 10% of women are not able to breast feed at all
  2. Almost one third of women do not produce enough milk to breast fee after the first 6 weeks
  3. There is no way to predict (including family history of breast feeding) if any particular woman would be able to breast feed

If a major breast surgery like a breast lift is desired, it is best to wait until family planning in the near future is completed.

Mario Diana, MD
Plano Plastic Surgeon

Breast-feeding after breast surgery

+1

Most patients are able to breast-feed after the breast surgery you are planning. The exact  percentage reduction is unknown  since some ladies who have not had breast surgery are not able to breast-feed. Generally, I suggest that if you are planning on having children in the near future you wait on doing the breast surgery until afterwards. I hope this helps.

Breat Lift and breast feeding

+1

Any sort of breast lift will require an incision around your nipple and reshaping of the tisue underneath.  In my experience I have not had issues afterward with patients breastfeeding afterward but, just because of the portiuon of the surgery that takes place around your nipple, there is a definite risk that this can be affected- the risk may be small, but it's still there.  It's always possible that patients who do have breast feeding issues never contact the surgeon so it's hard to tell you how significant my experience is...but there is clear evidence in the literature that a risk does exist.  Not being able to breast feed would require an issue with both breasts which is unlikely.  So, if you're planning on having children in the very near term and breast-feeding is very important to you, then waiting isn't silly...but I do think the risk is small.

Scott E. Newman, MD, FACS

Breast Feeding After Breast Surgery (Implants, Lifts and Reductions)

+1

Plastic Surgeons are careful not to guarantee the ability to lactate after breast augmentations, breast lifts and reductions.  Many women cannot breast feed regardless of whethe or not  they have had breast sugery, so it would be foolish to guarantee it under any circumstances.  Breast augmentation leaves the breast gland, breast ducts and nipples intact so it should have no negative impact on breast feeding.  Studies have shown that 70% of women breast feed successfully after lifts and reductions.  I generally advise women that if the loss of ability to breast feed would make them regret doing the surgery then delay  the procedure until after child baring years.

Mary Lee Peters, MD