Hematoma Following Breast Lift

I have had a breast lift and got bigger implants about 5 months ago. I developed what he thinks is a hematoma on my left breast. the bruising is gone but i still have a bulge and the scarring on my nipple looks VERY stretched out and is painful :( I am now very self contious.. is this normal? can it be fixed?? Also,do you have to be a liscenced plastic surgeon to perform an augmentation?

Hematoma after Breast Lift?

+1

Unfortunately, it is not possible to give you good advice based on the pictures you have presented. Assuming your surgeon  is a board-certified plastic surgeon,  you should continue to follow-up with him/her.

Also unfortunately, a physician does not have to be a trained plastic surgeon to perform breast augmentation surgery.

It  is the patient's responsibility to do their due diligence in regards to the surgeons training, credentials, and experience level.

Post-op hematoma

+1

First, I need a better picture.  That being said, I think I see that your left breast is fuller up top.  This either represents unresolved hematoma or possible capsular contracture. In my practice, if I have a detectable hematoma in the post-operative period I return to the operating room to drain it to reduce the likelihood of encapsulation.  Revision is possible.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Hematoma Following Breast Lift

+1

Need better photos of BOTH breasts. But yes a revision can help. Always best to use a boarded PS. Best of luck. 

Mastopexy in postop hematoma

+1

Hematomas can occur after any surgery. As long as there are no signs of infection like fever, redness and/or pain then this is most likely hematoma.

In my patients who have hematoma after surgery sometimes massage will help the hematoma soften and resolve quicker.

It's always best to discuss your problem with the doctor and asked her doctor what he should do in order to help resolve the problem.

Wendell Perry, MD

Hematoma after breast lift

+1

It's much better to send a picture of both breasts with your shirt off  (you will need someone else to take them).  You need to talk at length with your surgeon so that you understand what happened and what is the plan going forward.  Regarding licensure, any doctor who is licensed in your state may be able place breast implants, but MUCH more important is what specialty training the doctor has - meaning, you should be sure your doctor is a board-certified plastic surgeon (not a dermatologist or orthopedic surgeon, for example). 

Michelle Spring, MD

Please send front and lateral view pictures

+1

It is hard to give good answer based on the picture you send. Your nipple/areola position and size is due to the size of the implant and kind of lift you got. Your nipple has moved too much to the side and this can be due to muscle release and implant position. Please send better pictures.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Hematoma Following Breast Surgery

+1

Only your surgeon can confirm that you developed a hematoma (bleeding into your tissue) in your left breast that has led to the swelling noted on your photo.  If diagnosed early, the collection of blood can be removed and the source of the bleeding addressed.  If it has been present for some time, your body will eventually absorb most of the blood after it has clotted.  During this process, your breast will likely become firmer from the inflammation and possible from the scar tissue that can develop during the process as well.  This increased swelling can explain the stretching of your breast skin and scar which will hopefully subside with time. If you develop permanent deformities once the issue has resolved, seek a board-certified plastic surgeon to address the problem.  Best of luck for a speedy recovery!!!

Louis DeLuca, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Hematoma?

+1

It's difficult to advise you based on the photo you're presenting.The scar does look widened and your breast looks firm so I think a visit to your surgeon to rule out a capsule contracture or other issue is advised.  Plastic surgery is not a licensing issue but, rather, a training issue.  Legally, any licensed physician may be allowed to perform breast augmentation but you can only be assured proper training by making sure your surgeon is Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Scott E. Newman, MD, FACS