Breast Lift & Downsize Implants - Before OR After Having a Baby?

Naturally 32 C/D w Lax skin. 31 I got 700 CC silicone. I did NOT want a lift cuz of the scars. I'm 118 lbs, small rib cage & waist so these look HUGE on my frame. I've hated them since day one. I'm now 36. I want ONE child but prob not for two more years. Over the last 5 yrs thy have dropped, settled, and become so heavy. I want to enjoy myself NOW. I want them smaller. Should I do it now? or wait? I worry abt how much bigger they will get during pregnancy. I already feel like I cant breath. :(

#BreastLift & Downsize #Implants- Before OR After Having a Baby? ANS:

+2

What do you think about this idea...Just remove the implants for now. You will be much more comfortable and it will allow your skin to recover somewhat from the trauma of 700cc implants and then you can get pregnant, breast feed, increase your activity etc and then do the lift and re-augment when you are ready....

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift

+2

Dear OCgirly,

First - make sure you see an experienced plastic surgeon that is Board Certified.  700cc sounds VERY large for your size.  Augmentation is not a substitute for a breast lift - it will look good in the beginning, but usually results in faster descent and sagging over a few years due to the added weight.  

Second - although the proposed scars on your breast from a lift sound scary, they usually heal very nicely.  The improvements in shape and perkiness are usually preferred by women compared to a scarless saggy 'ball-in-sock' appearance.  

Third - although I usually tell women to wait until after having children to undergo a revision breastlift/augment, your case is unique.  You are having significant issues with your breasts now.  Moreover, I'm sure they are a negative impact on your confidence and sense of self.  In your situation, I don't think you should wait 2 years to have your revision.  

Overall - see an experienced board-certified plastic surgeon in your area.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Breast lift and downsizing implant is best

+2

You have made it quite obvious that your current breast size is no longer acceptable and it sounds like you should make a change sooner than later.  Yes you will need to consider re-lifting in the future, especially if your plan is to have children.  But your question suggests that you need to reduce volume (downsize) with mastopexy surgery (breast lift) NOW. These are commonly done at the same time, and will solve your current situation.  In the future you may need a revision surgery, but that is not absolute.  Breath better now and enjoy yourself. Good luck

Neil Gottlieb, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Replacing large implants with a breast lift

+2

The problem with breast implants is that the choice of implants has lifelong implications.  Time, weight and gravity is not on your side when it comes to breast implants.  It sounds like you are uncomfortable now and correcting the problem now is most likely in your best interest.   If you had a moderate degree of breast sagging prior to your original breast augmentation the weight of the implant has cause the situation to get worse.  Your best option would be to go to a smaller size, one that matches your size and shape and have a breast lift.  It is really a matter of personal choice whether you want to do it now or wait after you are finished having your family.  Your next step is to discuss the problem with an experienced plastic surgeon.  

Breast Lift & Downsize Implants - Before OR After Having a Baby

+2

If you are uncomfortable now, it makes perfect sence to have your surgery sooner rather than waiting for two years. If you feel huge now, it could be much moreso with a pregnancy. 

The hardest sizing decision in breast surgery is downsizing, and there are no mechanical aids, such as trying on implants for new patients, or padding with measured amounts of rice for increasing size. Spend as much time as needed discussing this with your surgeon.

Thanks and best wishes.

Downsizing implants before having children

+2
Generally, I recommend that patients wait until after having children because the size and shape of the breasts will change. However under the circumstances and as you are already uncomfortable, you should have the procedure now. Pregnancy will cause the breasts to become even larger and more painful. A large augment is not a substitute for a breast lift and, actually, has produced the expected result which is sagging and discomfort.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Downsizing breast implants because they are too big

+2

If you feel that your breast implants are too big now, your breasts will be huge when you are pregnant. Your breast skin will really be stretched out. I think getting a smaller implant now makes more sense. You will enjoy your body more now and your breasts will not be as big during future pregnancy than if you waited.

Best Wishes,

Stewart Wang, MD FACS, Wang Plastic Surgery

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

Hello

+2

If you are unhappy with your breast now, You should correct them now before your children come. You can not be sure what your breasts will be like after you have children.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation, Breast Lifts and Pregnancy.

+2

If you have the surgery now, you have at least 2 years to enjoy the results. If having to do another breast augmentation revision after pregnancy seems reasonable, then have the surgery now.

If you decide to wait, consider having your breast implants removed before getting pregnant. You may not like the way they look, but this will prevent the skin from getting stretched further, will give the pocket time to close and after pregnancy will make doing a breast lift with or without a breast implant simpler and more predictable.

The third option is to leave everything alone until you are through having children, and then doing the revision surgery. 

All three are viable options. You can pick the one that makes sense to you. It would be worth your while to obtain an in person consultation with a plastic surgeon, to be certain there are not other issues to consider.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Reducing size of implants pre or post pregnancy

+2

This is a question that is asked frequently in my practice, in fact, I performed a procedure for my patient consultant who had 850cc and we reduced them without performing a formal lift. Because I cannot see a picture of your breasts, it is hard to tell you your specific options, however, I would tell you that you do have options with or without a lift. In regards to how big your breasts will become during a pregnancy, this all depends on you and it would be hard to predict. I would look into your family history and ask questions. I would highly encourage you to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area to discuss your options and what you can do now to reduce your size and make you happy, that can also benefit you during a pregnancy. I wish you the best of luck!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon