Concerned about the asymmetry post-op Breast Lift. Is this something that can be corrected?

I had a breast lift with cohesive gel implants placed under the muscle 3.5 weeks ago. I am very concerned with the asymmetry. The left breast is obviously bigger (fuller upper pole, hangs lower)and the areolas look oddly shaped. At almost a month post-op I thought that I would start seeing things looking better, instead I am getting increasingly upset with the results. Is this something that can be corrected?

Breast asymmetry after mastopexyaug

+1

You are still very early after surgery. Swelling and bruising may have occurred more in one breast then another and this is the apart of your asymmetry. Also if one side is significantly more swollen than another the nipple on that side may be temporarily raised to a higher level due to swelling.

Try not to worry, wait for the breast to heal and let I all the swelling to resolve before the judging the final result. There's still time for improvement. In my patients I expected to get the final look from 2 to 3 months after surgery. In most cases I'll notice changes to the size and shape of the breast after the 2nd postoperative month.

Correcting assymetry post-breast lift

+1

At this point in time of your recovery, it is too soon to see the final results of your surgery. It is normal to have some asymmetry at 1-month post-op. It may take 3-4 months for the implants to settle and improve in shape. If significant asymmetry continues, this can be corrected.

On this site, I do my best to give advice without a physical examination but I want you to know that a physical examination by a board certified physician is always the best way to get the most accurate information.

Asymmetry after breast surgery

+1

Unfortunately there is some degree of asymmetry between the two breasts. Though tissues will continue to settle with time, I do not think the asymmetry is going to improve that much. The skin envelope and the nipple may improve with minor revision. We need to see pre-op pictures to have an idea whether there was much asymmetry before (which may not have been apparent to you) and whether the implant sizes were correct.

Have you had a chat with your surgeon about your unhappiness?

Anindya Lahiri, MBBS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry following breast aug and lift

+1

It is early in the healing process so I would definitely wait.  Once healing is complete you can, and you may in fact require, a revision.  The right breast will likely need to be additionally tightened in the lower half of the breast.   Take your time and discuss things clearly with your plastic surgeon.  

Dr Remus Repta 

Remus Repta, MD

Asymmetry of breasts

+1

Some asymmetry of the breast is normal. If you are unhappy with the results, I would wait about 4-6 months before undergoing a revision.

Correcting an asymmetrical breast lift

+1

A breast lift which has gone awry can be revised to improve the symmetry. Your photo does show cause for disappointment which is very unlikely to straighten out over time. Unfortunately, the implant may need to be reduced, and the skin envelope of the breast revised to match the smaller breast.

peterejohnsonmd

Asymetry after breast lift

+1

You will need a revision. Either a larger implant on the right or a smaller implant on the left - depending on which size you prefer. For each cup size difference you require about a 200cc volume change. For example if your left breast is a D cup, and your right breast is a C cup, then you have to increase the volume of the right side by 200cc. The nipple asymmetry may be fixed at the same time. Best wishes, Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry after Breast Lift / Augmentation

+1

It does look like you have some asymmetry.  However, one month after surgery is too early to start getting worried.  Plan on waiting at least three months and then go see your surgeon to discuss your options.  You will be surprised how nicely the breasts settle over the next few months as the swelling resolves and the tissues settle.  However, at that point, if you still see asymmetry, then you can discuss your options with your surgeon.  

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

You may need to have revision

+1

The combined lift and implant surgery is associated with high degree of the revision surgery. You had the option of the lift and implant as a separate surgeries and or combined surgery with the need for revision.Either way you end up with two surgeries . You need to discuss your concerns with your surgeon and he/she should be able to help you with your concerns.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon