Possible to Get Lift and Implants but Maintain Breast Size?

I am 23 years old and a 36DD. I had my daughter 6 months ago. My breasts are sagging, but not too bad. I am wanting to get a lift and implants and still keep my size. Is it possible do do that and without the scars?

What you want is probably not possible

+2

It is extremely rare to meet a DD size patient post preganacy who doesn't need a lift to elevate the nipple areola and tighten the breats envelope. An implant WON'T lift you. It will make you bigger also so I don't think your goals can be met without doing a true surgical lift. You can add implants to the lift, but again, you will be bigger fro this. Wait until you are done having children and go to the best Board Certified plastic surgeon in your region for evaluation of your options.

Implants always cause breast size increases and scars always result from true Breast Lifts

+1

No, it is not possible to place a breast implant and not experience an increase in breast size. And no, a true lift cannot be performed without scars but depending on the amount of lift required the degree of scarring varies considerably. That being said if your breast droop is quite minimal the placement of an implant that will increase your size about a cup can provide the optical illusion of a breast lift with minimal scarring. You might find the additional size a fair trade off for the less inherent scarring. But since you have very adequate size and little droop your lift may be amenable to techniques producing smaller scars without the need for any implant at all. A consultation with a surgeon will be needed for you to diecide which option is right for yourself.

David A. Ross, MD

Implants and a lift

+1

If you have a DD breast cup, you probably only need a lift. However, a lift comes with incisions usually around the areola and often vertically from the areola to the fold. Sometimes even an anchor type incision.  Putting implants in is very unlikely  to be necessary. 

It is a mistake to reduce a DD breast and place an artificial device. Implants should be reserved

+1

It is a mistake to reduce a DD breast and place an artificial device. Implants should be reserved for patients with Small breasts and not for patients who need a lift and already have substantial breast tissue .

A well trained surgeon should be able to give you an implant look by remodeling your own breast tissue without the use of an implant .

This will serve you better in the long run without any problems associated with breast implants.

Best of luck

John Milam Shamoun, MD FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

A breast lift will help

+1

A lift will help your droopy breasts but will require some scars. You may or may not require an implant as well depending on the quality and quantity of your breast tissue. With a breast lift, your own breast tissue can be restructured to give the appearance of a fuller breast. The extent of scars for a mastopexy will depend on the extent of droopiness and the quality of your skin.

Sanjay Grover, MD

Two approaches for lift and implants

+1

This is one of the most interesting clinical situations that we face. A large saggy breast with flat upper pole. There are few ways to address this:

1. Perform a lift only, which will give some upper pole fullness and remove the excess skin. There has to be scars from this procedure.

2. Place an implant to fill the upper pole and perform a smaller lift.This will make lesser incisions but chances are that the volume will be bigger. To make the volume neutral, the lift will have to include breast tissue excision.

Hope that helps.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Possible but most likely unnecessary

+1

The correct answer will depend among other things on the stage of your ptosis (sagging), but at your age and cup size a simple lift would most likely be enough to maintain and increase projection (perkiness). Unless you have severe involution (deflation) of the upper pole there is no need for an implant. Remember that adding weight always favors gravity and will generate future sagging more quickly.

Antoine A. Hallak, MD, FACS

Possible, through small implant in the upper pole

+1

This is a common question from my patients that have larger, ptotic breasts. I routinely place a smaller implant (150 to 250 cc) in a small submuscular pocket to add fullness to the upper breast which does not significantly increase the bra cup size. This usually is combined with a breast lift procedure. The size of the lift scar will depend on how much extra breast skin you have.

Daniel Reichner, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Why?

+1

At 36DD you already have large breasts. The sagging or ptosis is easily fixed with a mastopexy. Since you are young you have not lost upper breast fullness. So I would not recommend implants, there's really no indication for them.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

It is possible, but not likely practical

+1

tml524,

In addition to opinions expressed here, you need the in-person evaluation of experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

In theory, if you add an implant you will increase your breast size. In theory, you could have partial removal of natural breast tissue and placement of an implant of equal volume, and maintain your size.

I think you should be aware that breasts as large as double-D almost always develop sagging over time and with pregnancies, breast feeding, and weight loss. In order to maintain a lifted appearance, you will probably need future procedures. If you do not have a lift (mastopexy) at this time, you are likely to need one later. In my experience, you are probably going to consider decreasing your size in the future (breast reduction). Discuss all these issues with your surgeon, so that long-term planning can be done.

Sutton Graham II, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon