Infection or Normal Pain After Breast Implant and Lift?

I am 3 weeks post op from a Breast Lift & Breast Implant. 1st week was the most painful thing of my life but after week 2, I started to feel a lot better.

The past 3 days I've had an extreme amount of pain in my left breast where the incisions are. It feels as though I'm being cut open. It is more swollen & more tender then the right one. Is this normal pain in the healing process? How do I know if I have an infection?

See you plastic surgeon today

+2

The only way to know what is happening with your breast is to see the plastic surgeon who performed your procedure. It may be a part of normal healing as nerves "wake up" but it may also represent bleeding around the implant or possibly an ifection. Regardless you need to be evaluated to ensure you are doing well.

Dr Edwards

Go back to your doctor today

+2

You are still in the range of recovery time where an infection is possible.  Only your surgeon can tell you by an examination.  Best to go in today!

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Possible infection following breast surgery should be evaluated by your plastic surgeon

+2

The signs of an infection are increasing pain, tenderness, redness, warmth and drainage. If you have noticed an increase in tenderness along with increased swelling you should see your plastic surgeon as soon as possible. There are many sutures that are used to performe a breast lift and it is possible that one of the suture knots has become infected. After an examination your plastic surgeon should be able to tell if this is a wound infection that requires treatment. Sometimes an infected suture can be removed, othertimes antibiotics are required.

See your surgeon

+2

Call your surgeon and see him ASAP - if you are worried regarding an infection. My advice over the internet would be misleading without seeing you. Don't waste your time, you paid someone to take care of you --- now go back and get the care you need.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Extreme pain after breast implant and lift is not normal

+1

After a breast lift and implant placement, soreness, but not extreme pain is typical. You need to see your surgeon to have things examined and get better information.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon