Should a Breast Lift Be Done Before, During, or After Augmentation? (photo)

I am planning on augmentation from small B cup to a D cup. My nipple is at the inframammary fold and I have little to no skin showing below the areola, presumably from weight changes. I have not yet had children, but may consider it in the next few years. I definitely want to be larger cup size, but should I have the lift now with the augmentation, wait and see how it looks after, or wait for the lift until I have kids (if I ever do). Can a 2nd lift be performed safely after the kids?

Simultaneous Augmentation and Mini Ultimate Breast Lift

+1

You are an excellent candidate for a new technique called Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift.  Using only a circumareola incision, it is possible to lift your breast tissue higher on the chest wall increasing your cleavage and reshaping your breast to produce more projection.  Through the same incision, an implant can be placed retro-pectorally.  I recommend silicone gel implants since they look and feel more natural.  Combining the 2 techniques simultaneously will allow you to use a smaller implant, which will give you a better long term result.  The larger implants tend to descend quicker and give more complications.  You have not stated your bra size just your cup size.  If you are 32 or 34, you wiil need 200 cc implants to get you from a B to a D.  If you are 36 or 38, you will need 400 cc implant to get your from a B to a D.  The best implant is the smalles implant since it will have the least long term complications.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift Before, During or after Augmentation and also planning to have more children

+1

You have a lot or variables here. Pregnancy and age will affect your breasts regardless of what has been done. The lift can be done at any time.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Should a #BreastLift Be Done Before, During, or After #Augmentation? (photo) ANS:

+1

Honestly if you are planning on getting pregnant in the next few years I would wait to have surgery until you are done with kids..the amount of droop that it seems you have means you may need both an implant and a lift and that may interfere with your breast feeding and your shape and size may change after kids meaning you might need another surgery. If you we're done with kids I would say do them at the same time!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Should a Breast Lift Be Done Before, During, or After Augmentation?

+1

This is an area of some controversy, and there are consultants who feel both can be done at the same time, others who strongly feel the opposite. I do feel that if you do have an augmentation a lift will be necessary for a good outcome.

If the lift can be done with less than a full anchor pattern incision, I feel it is usually safe to do both at once. Doing them separately is by definition an automatic 2 surgeries. Most patients having a combined procedure will need just one, but I do always suggest the possibility of needing a secondary procedure at a higher rate than say an enlargement alone or a lift alone. 

A secondary lift can be performed if needed after pregnancy. 

When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.

Thank your for your question, best wishes.

Breast Augmentation with Lift

+1

Based on your photographs, you will likely need both a lift along with your augmentation.  In reality, there are many things that you need to consider before having these procedures done prior to having your children, too many to put in this reply.  Seek an experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to get fully informed on your options and risks. Best wishes!

Brian Howard, MD
Alpharetta Plastic Surgeon

Lift at same time as augmentation?

+1

You do need both lift and augmentation. Some plastic surgeons are not comfortable with doing both at the same time. I used to be one of these. The reason is that ll lifts "settle" some and also the augmentation gives you some (minimal) lift itself. It can be difficult to judge how much lift to perform. With experience the procedures can be done together we excellent results. Separately they will give just as good results but with an additional surgery and recovery.  Make sure your PS has experience with the combination if you have them at the same time. Best of luck.

Andrew Stewart, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and possible lift

+1

Just based upon your photo, it looks like you may need a lift with a breast augmentation.  Of course, an exam in person is critical to properly assess you.

Combining lift and augment

+1
I agree that a lift would be beneficial for you and would consider the implant the optional part of the procedure. If necessary, you can have a revision after having children.The combination procedure produces excellent results and is cost effective. Just discuss all the implications with your plastic surgeon before making a decision.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Combining a breast lift (mastopexy) with a bread augmentation (breast implants) is a common and great procedure

+1

While some plastic surgeons prefer to do the breast lift as a separate procedure and then do the breast enlargement, I feel in the right patient it is a great combination of procedures which will give you spectacular results. Make sure you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who has a lot of experience with these procedures. Ask to see before and after pictures and even talk with some of you surgeons patients.

Carl W. "Rick" Lentz III, MD

Breast implants and lift work together and are best done simultaneously

+1

A properly performed breast lift will also reduce your breast size by removing extra tissue from the lower pole (a skin-only breast lift does not hold up well over time).  You will probably not like being smaller than you are now.  Simultaneous implants serve to provide the upper pole fullness you desire.  This effect cannot be achieved with a lift alone.  There are many benefits in having a combined vertical breast lift and implants (other breast lifts do not work as well and may increase your risk of complications, so be sure to have a vertical lift).

So the answer is yes, you can have this done in two operations.  But one is better for most people.  Yes, a lift can be "retightened" later on if necessary.  I've attached a link to this portion of my website if you want to read more and look at photos.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon