Breast Lift with Augmentation or Just the Augmentation? (photo)

I've consulted with three plastic surgeons in structuring my breast after losing weight in my teenage years. I am 22 years old and have droopy breast (B-C Cup). One of the surgeons advised that I get a breast lift with breast augmentation. The other two surgeons said that i could get away with just the implants. The third one reccommended i use the furry brazilian implants and go above the muscle. Should i do the lift with the augmentation? or just the implants? wil the brazilian be good for me?

Decisions, decisions

+3

Dear Dani,

Boy, it is always difficult when you go to 3 different surgeons and it sounds like you got 3 different recommendations. Looks like you are in Australia and all of us American surgeons do not have access to what you are calling the "furry Brazillian" implants. So we will not have a comment on that.

But remember a scar is forever. The scar from a Breast aug alone is usually quite small especially if you get a saline implant. The scars from a breast lift are more. Being a young girl, do you want to try to avoid the scar? If so, then just get an implant, choose the largest one you are comfortable "wearing" and see how you like your shape. You will always look good in clothes - support bra, bathing suit top. It is just with no support how you look. You can always go back and get a lift, you cannot erase the lift incisions.

Bakersfield Plastic Surgeon

A breast lift with implants is likely your best option

+2

Thank you for your question and the photos.
A breast lift with implants is likely your best option. Implants alone do not lift breasts. Breast implants restore lost volume but do not provide lift.
To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Breast lift with or without augmentation?

+2

Dear Dani,

If you are happy with your current size, you may want to consider the Ultimate Breast Lift. The UBL reshapes and lifts your current breast tissue so that upper pole fullness is achieved without an implant or the unsightly vertical scar. Performing the anchor, and different types of vertical lifts for many years led me to realize that placing a vertical incision at the base of the breast was architecturally wrong. Vertical incisions inherently weaken the skin envelope which is relied upon to hold the weight of the breast. The UBL not only keeps the integrity of the skin envelope intact, it also anchors the newly designed breast mound securely to minimize future sagging.

Food for thought: An implant in conjunction with a vertical lift can be disastrous. Keep away from large implants that will stretch your tissue and make things worse for you in the future. And never allow anyone to place an implant above the muscle! Skin stretches faster without the support of the muscle.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Do I Need a Breast Lift?

+2

Hello. It is hard to tell whether you need a Breast Lift without being examined. You might be able to get away without a lift, but you need to make a decision based on the doctor that you trust the most. For your safety and satisfaction, be sure that your doctor is a board certified plastic surgeon.

Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Augmentation Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

A side photo would help.

+2

The decision about a breast lift is in part based on the relative position of your areola as well as the bottom of your breast in relation to your breast fold.  A side photo or a pencil that is placed horizontally between your breast and your breast fold would help to visualize this.  Your breast implant will be placed starting at your breast fold and higher so any tissue below this would appear to be drooping off of the implant and that is when the idea of a breast lift with a breast augmentation comes into discussion.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Breast Lift with Augmentation or Just the Augmentation?

+2

Based only on the posted photos I recommend implants with some lifting technique as the better option for you. 

Breast lift with augmentation or just the augmentation?

+2

What is difficult to tell without examining you is where your nipples and the bottoms of your breasts are in relation to your inframammary crease.  It appears that you have enough overhang that you will need a breast lift in order to obtain a good contour.  However, examination and measurements may indicate that you are borderline for needing a lift, and in this case you could try augmentation alone and always do a lift later if needed.  If you know you want higher nipples or a smaller areola, then you are desiring the effect that a lift would provide.  In my opinion you should avoid using a larger implant than you would otherwise feel comfortable with OR placing the implant over the muscle in an attempt to avoid the lift...either or both of these strategies may lead to increased breast tissue stretching and skin stretching over time and even more sagging.

+2

In my opinion this is the hardest operation we perform for breast surgery. This is a procedure that can be done well in one operation, but you must realize there are many surgeons today that still stage these operations and perform the lift followed by the augmentation 6-8 weeks apart because of potential asymmetry . The reason is we are manipulating so many variables at once… the size of the breast, the location of the nipple, reduceing the skin envelope and many other aspects of shape. Because of these factors, subtle asymmetry is very common. You are starting out with asymmetry as your left nipple is lower. A breast lift can even them out. It is very hard for me to know other limitations of your surgery without a physical exam. I know you are young, but if your goal is for more perky breasts rather than bigger versions of what you have then you will need a lift. The problem with using a very large implant is that you will then have larger droopy breasts. Yes, you can have some lift with an implant alone, but unless I know your breast measurements it is hard to say. If I go solely by your picture alone I would say an implant and lift is what you need if your goal is a more lifted rejuvenated breast. You do need to consider pregnancy because it can impact your result down the road. You can still have a lift again down the road but it is something for you to consider. Good luck!!!

Richard J. Brown, MD

Breast lift or implants alone

+2

I would suggest implants alone - most likely.  You don't have much breast volume after your weight loss, and expanding out your breast envelope with implants may well give you a good breast outcome without the scars of a lift.

A thorough consultation is required, to understand your expectations, to properly examine your breasts and to do the measurements which can confirm whether implants alone will achieve a good outcome.

Breast Lift Recommended?

+2

Thank you for the question and picture.

Based on your history, concerns, and anatomy I would suggest that you proceed with breast lifting surgery along with the breast augmentation procedure. I do not think that you will be pleased with the results of breast augmentation surgery alone.

Of course breasts lifting does involve additional scars. Sometimes, the presence of these additional scars is a “dealbreaker”;  patients would prefer to leave their breasts unchanged than to have scars. At other times, patients  prefer to have the improvement in breast position, shape, and (possibly) size  and are willing to accept the trade-off of scars.