Revision for Thick and Raised Breast Lift Scar?

I had a breast lift and breast augmentation one year ago, but I still have a little thick, raised scar on the side of my breasts. Can an old raised scar still be healed while using scar silicone gels, or is it too late since the scars are old? Will Dermatix silicone gel help for raised scars?

After a year, scars will respond but not as well as when they are treated early. An exam with a board certified plastic surgeon is indicated to see if a surgical revision is needed. If so please note the following: Best Scar Management is important to minimize or completely hide from view, the telltale signs of your surgery—namely, scars. Both you and your surgeon want you to have the most minimal scarring possible. There are many possible causes for scars that are enlarged or not healing well. Unsightly scars are most commonly due to genetics, underlying medical conditions, or improper scar/wound care. The last part is very important and patients can make a noticeable difference in their scars’ appearance by following best scar management practices. Here are some helpful hints in the below link:

Revision for thick and raised breast lift scar?

Hello! Thank you for your question. It is common for scars to fully mature for up to a year. In the meantime, there are a few things that may help to ameliorate your incision/scar. The most proven (as well as cheapest) modality is simple scar massage. Applying pressure and massaging the well-healed scar has been shown to improve the appearance as it breaks up the scar tissue, hopefully producing the finest scar as possible. Other things that have been shown to add some benefit are silicone sheets, hydration, and topical steroids. In addition, avoidance of direct sunlight to the incision will significantly help the appearance as they tend to discolor with UV light during the healing process.

If unsightly scars are still present after approximately a year's time, other things that your surgeon may consider are intralesional steroid injections, laser, or just surgical revision of the scar itself.

Hope that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Treating old scars

A one year old scar may not be amenable to topical agents or pressure dressings. You  may be better off with a scar revision. I would then recommend taping the area for several weeks to months and offering topical agents as well.

Revision may improve thick and raised breast lift scars

Really a photo could help. But if these scars are older than 2 years than only revision can improve, MAYBE. Go see 3 boarded plastic surgeons in person. Good Luck and Merry Merry.