I plan on getting Breast Implants about 3/4 months after pregnancy.Do I Need a Breast Lift with my Augmentation?

im 20. im currently 7 months pregnant. i plan on getting breast implants about 3/4 months after pregnancy. my breast are a little bigger than what they usually are (of course because im pregnant) but they are still the same shape as what they were pre pregnancy. i know the only way to know for sure is to wait until after i have my baby but i just wanted a GUESS of what i might need. i have asymmetry. does it cost extra to fix that? and do i need a lift or just the implants?

Breast Asymmetry and Constriction

+2

Your breasts have a shape that requires reshaping to release the relatively narrow base (the area where the breast connects to the chest).

Implants will help with the volume and shape, but the results will not look right without a Mastopexy (breast lift) to reshape the breast gland and skin.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Lift (mastopexy) vs. no lift with breast augmentation

+2

You appear to have a tight lower pole and large areolae.  It may be best to perform a specialized type of lift to minimize the lower breast tightness but reduce areolar size while doing the breast augmentation.

Breast augmentation / lift surgery is tricky surgery, particularly when both the lift and the augmentation are performed at the same time, so experience is a must.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Breast Augment

+1

As you can see this can be a controversial subject. I would suggest an anatomic implant under the breast with gland releases and doing a lift at a second stage once the breast has had time to reshape with the implant about 6 months after the surgery

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Breast Lift

+1

You have a variant of a Type II Tuberous breast, but the truth will be told once you have delivered and the tissue settles back to normal.  I see from your post you asked 14 months ago, so if you are not breast feeding and things have settled down, and you are not planning on having more children, then this would be a good time to reevaluate the situation.  Your left nipple is well above the crease, and so is your right.  If they both stay elevated, you might be a good candidate for a Dual Plane breast augmentation to avoid more extensive scars on your breasts.  All the best.  "Dr. Joe"

Joe Gryskiewicz, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants and Breast Lifting?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

It is very likely that, after pregnancy and/or weight loss, you will benefit from breast augmentation and mastopexy surgery. Your breasts do demonstrate characteristics of constricted/tuberous breasts and some degree of experience will be helpful to achieve the best results possible in your case.

The combination of  breast augmentation and breast lifting will serve to raise the breasts,  improve the symmetry of the breasts  and improve the fullness in the cleavage area as well as superiorly.

Make sure you are working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon and ask to see examples of similar patients who have undergone the procedures.

Breast lift with implants can result in excellent correction of severe assymetries

+1

Your breasts have significant asymmetry due to a tight, or constricted inframammary fold, so it will  be necessary to perform a lift, as well as placing different size implants.  The implants may be placed above or below the muscle, depending on your surgeon’s experience and comfort level with each of these 

W. Tracy Hankins, MD

Breast Aymmetry during pregnancy may become worse after pregnancy

+1

The simple answer to your question is that it probably will cost more than just implants because implants alone are not likely to treat the asymmetry. IT is impossible to predict the amount of change you will experience with lactation as well. Depending on how different they are after pregnancy measurements (of the degree of volume discrepancy, nipple and inframammary fold dystopia, nipple to crese distance, sternal notch to nipple distance, etc) will determine the best procedure for you and there is about a 30% chance you will require revision. IT is impossible to predict the amount of change you will experience with lactation as well.

Breast lift with augmentation

+1

I agree with the answers that indicate you have a constricted type breast (not tuberous) with volume and possibly positional asymmetry. I also agree that this could change through pregnancy and breast feeding. At the current level you do not need a lift (mastopexy) and if the volume difference can be handled by different volume implants, then the procedure is still a breast augmentation and shouldn't cost more. However, with a constricted base breast and possible nipple-areola deformity, additional maneuvers may need to be done for best results. Breast implants are like pillow volume and do not actually shape, form, lift, move, or rotate the breast, particularly the anterior half of the breast including the nipple-areola.

I would agree with the advice to wait until the breast has completely recovered from breast feeding and ideally weight is stabilized at pre-pregnancy levels. At that point an exam should be able to determine what type of procedure is indicated. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymetry

+1

Your picture suggest that you have tuberous breast but the picture is not that good. Measurements would help as would an exam. If you were to have surgery now this is not a routine augmentation and in this case it would cost more , a Mastopexy type procedure may be needed.

After pregnancy the breast will change but it will not make the breast enhancement easier. You should probable enjoy your new baby and worry about the breast a few months after the birth or if breast feeding a few months after stopping the breast feeding.

Walter D. Gracia, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Breast Enhancement after Pregnancy

+1

Hi Daisy-

In regards to your question: 

The first thing to understand is that your body is going to be changing over the course of the next few months, and the recommendations I might make now would then change, so I'm not sure it is of benefit to try to identify a procedure at this time... This might only confuse you later and complicate your relationship with your chosen surgeon if they recommend something different than what you read here (because your body has changed).

If your goal is to be safe and happy with your body, the best advice I can give you is to try not to think about this until you have completed your family and your body has fully recovered from your last pregnancy.

At that point, pay a visit to an ethical, experienced plastic surgeon certified by The American Board of Plastic surgery in your area for a consultation. After a careful examination, they will be able to guide you and educate you about your options. 

And no, I cannot imagine that any of us would charge you extra to correct asymmetry.

Here's some advice on how to find a surgeon you like and feel you can trust:

Armando Soto, MD, FACS