Implants - Will I Need a Lift?

I'm wanting to have breast implants but not sure if I'm going to also need a lift. I want them to be youthful looking, as I am only 26. I have always been a nice full C but breast feeding 5 children has left me with much smaller breasts. I know a physical examination is easier to determine these things but just wondering by the pictures what you think I might need. Thanks so much for taking your time to answer these questions and reassure us ladies.

Breast augmentation with lift

+2

It's hard to say from the photo whether you need a lift or not. A lot will depend on the type of look you are going for. Your nipples sit a little low on the breasts currently. Are you okay with that? If you are then an implant may be able to fill out the breast tissue adequately. If you wanted your nipples a little higher then you may need a crescent lift or a circumareolar lift.

Breast lift and Breast Augmentation

+2

Breast Augmentation alone will give you a small lift of the nipple and areola. If the distance from your sternal notch to the nipple is longer than 25 cm, then we usually will do a lift procedure. Find a Board certified plastic surgeon in your area and ask him/her. If you like a larger implant, then I would be less inclined to do a lift.

Leo Lapuerta MD FACS

Triple Board Certified Plastic SUrgeon

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Implants do not lift breasts....

+2

If you need a lift, then you need a lift, regardless of your implant size or placement.  Women who shortchange themselves by avoiding a necessary lift in the beginning typically come back within a year or so unhappy with their results.

Your photos are not definitive in demonstrating your need for a lift, though.  The answer really is, "it depends".  You should easily be able to get a final answer during a personal consultation, though, when the surgeon can take your breast measurements and evalute your skin quality and tissue thickness.  You may need no lift, but I suspect you may at least need a circumareolar lift (around the areola).

Please be sure to see only surgeons who are Certified specifically by the American Board of PLASTIC Surgery (not 'cosmetic' surgery).

Carmen Kavali, MD

Will I need a lift?

+1
This is probably one of the most common question we get as plastic surgeons. First of all, there is no good way to augment a women and achieve a nice result if she starts with significant breast ptosis (when the nipple is facing downward or low on the breast). Unfortunately, I have seen this in unhappy patients who come to me to revise what someone else has done. Placing implants that are too large for the patient's body type ends up as a disaster with very large saggy implants.

However, in looking at your photos, I don't believe that you would need a lift to achieve the once full C cup breasts you had. You have volume loss without much nipple ptosis and, therefore, a "dual-plane" or internal lift with high profile implants will give you a nice result. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants - Do I Need a Lift Also?

+1

Hi lotsobabies in mississippi,

Well, of course, the interesting point is that no one NEEDS a lift at all - the question is what are the available procedures, and which makes the most sense in terms of what you look like, what you want to achieve, and how extensive each of the procedures is.  If there is a very complicated procedure associate with a lot of risks, you have to really want and/or be expected to benefit from it if you're comparing that with a simpler and less complicated procedure.

There's no doubt that adding a lift to a breast implant procedure makes it, in general, exponentially more complicated and involved than just doing the implants.  That's because you're really combining two independent procedures on each side, and trying to factor in what will happen over time (will the tissue continue to sag, how will your tissues hold a small or larger implant, etc).  Some surgeons prefer to stage these procedures; in other words, do the lift at the first stage and come back several months later to insert the implants.

Putting all this together, though, I think that you may not be happy with implants alone.  The implants will provide an increase in size and will provide a fuller look - but the weight of the implants may push your breasts down farther or, at least, contribute to the overall weight.  Gravity will, ultimately, win.

I think you'll have a "nicer" result with the lift - but you'll also have scars, and there are increased risks.  Whether or not those are worth it to you is something that you will, in fact, have to discuss in person with your plastic surgeon.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Do I need a lift?

+1

In looking at your photos, it is really difficult to say whether or not you will need a lift.  To know definitively, there are a few things that we look at to gauge the potential need for a lift.  Some of these factors include the following:

• distance of the nipple from the base of the neck
  • degree of skin laxity
  • position of the nipple relative to the breast fold
  • size of desired implant

That being said, these factors help suggest the possible need for a breast lift.  Another option is to consider placement of the implant above the muscle.  When the implant is placed below the muscle, the implant will generally sit a little higher on the chest wall and so this placement will be a little less forgiving if your nipple position is low.  If instead you place the implant above the muscle (that is considering that you have enough of your own tissue to support this placement), then you may be able to avoid a lift.

To best determine whether or not you will need a lift really requires an in-person consultation.  I suggest looking for a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with significant experience in breast enhancement who can review with you the various options available as well as the associated pro's and con's. 

I hope that helps!

Gregory A. Buford, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon