Breast Lift and Augmentation at the Same Time? (photo)

2 doctors have assured me that they can do a lollipop lift and breast augmentation at the same time. During the time of the surgery, some saggy tissue would be removed and my breasts will be a D cup after the implant is placed in. The 3rd doctor recommends that I don't do both at the same time. He says I should get a lift first and then get a breast augmentation 6 months later. I have already made my appointment for a lift and breast augmentation at the same time. Would you recommend this?

Whether to lift and augment in 1 or 2 surgeries.

+2

Either option is legitimate. The issues with performing an augmentation at the time of masteopexy (lift) are that these are 2 competing operations which can make predictability difficult. A breast augmentation enlarges the breast while a lift tightens the breast. It is no wonder why an augmentation mastopexy has the highest revision surgery rate of any cosmetic breast surgery. Although this is true, not every aug/pexy is the same. A moderate breast lift with small implants is much easier to perform than a large lift with larger implants. From your photo, a "lollipop" lift is advisable. Staging is really up to you, but in experienced hands it can be safe either way.

Web reference: http://www.drbogue.com

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

No need to stage the breast lift and augmentation as long as a vertical "lollipop" lift is used.

+2

I wonder if the third doctor you saw that recommended staged surgery uses the vertical "lollipop" technique.  The combination is problematic when the inverted-T anchor scar technique is used.  However, the two procedures can be done together safely by experienced plastic surgeons who use the vertical technique (emphasis on vertical technique).  There is no need to stage the surgery and this can be impractical and more expensive for women.  One operation is better than two.  I would recommend that you view the before and after photos of your surgeon's breast lift/implant patients.  If you like what you see, you are more likely to be satisfied with you own results.  Note that there are major differences in results between surgeons for the combined procedure.  I've attached a link so you can view some photos of this combined surgery.

Web reference: http://www.swansoncenter.com/content/ideal-breast/procedures/breast-lift/patient-photographs.asp

Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Should I have a breast lift with simultaneous augmentation?

+2

Breast lifting with augmentation is a evry common combined procedure. In my office we perform the 2 procedures almost always simultaneously. The combination does make it a bit more complex and, therefore, some surgeons prefer to stage them. But most surgeons do perform them simultaneously. If you are comfortable with your surgeon( hopefully, Board Certified) then I think you should  be able to proceed as planned. Good luck!

Web reference: http://drlefkovits.com

#BreastAugmentation and #BreastLift at the Same Time

+2

From your photos, it appears that you would be a good candidate for a lift and augmentation at the same time. There is no particular need for two surgeries when it can all be done at the same procedure. As long as you feel comfortable with your surgeon, proceed as planned, but make sure that you have a full evaluation in person before you proceed. 

You should see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to get a formal opinion through and in-person consultation.

Vincent Marin, MD

Simultaneous mastopexy with augmentation

+2

Thanks for a greast question and a good picture.  To answer your question, in my practice I believe I could offer you a single stage procedure-- however, some surgeons as you found out would not.  Only an exam in person would let me no for sure.  You need to evaluate the final results of the surgeons you have consulted with and pick the one you have think will get you the best result.  If you are leaning toward the surgeon who wants to do it in two steps, do not try to convince he/she to do it in one step and frankly they should not budge.  I found when Surgeon A tries to do the plan of Surgeon B (it does happen) the results sometimes are not the best.  We each have training, experience, and techniques which help us deliver good outcomes.  Good luck.

Breast Lift and Augmentation at the Same Time?

+2

This level of decision should not be made online. There is controversy amoung plastic surgeons regarding the relative risks of combining augmentation and breast lift. Many surgeons do these simultaneously, others separately. Most decide on a case by case basis. Some will do the procedures together unless a full anchor pattern lift is needed or a very large implant is to be used. It is not surprising that you would get differing opinions at consultations. 

As a separatye issue, with only one photo  view and without the benefit of an actual exam, I do have some concern about whether an anchor pattern of incision might be more appropriate than just a vertical pattern.

Thanks for your question, best wishes.

Breast augmentation with lift

+2

Simultaneous breast augmentation and breast lift is a challenging procedure which sometimes requires a second procedure to get things as perfect as possible. For this reason, some surgeons in some patients recommend staging the two procedures by several months. If the surgeon you choose feels confident and comfortable doing them both at the same time, you should be fine, but be aware that there is a higher risk of needing a second operation.

Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation/Lifting in Single or Two Stages?

+2

It is in the nature of plastic surgery that you will receive many different opinions  as to the best way to proceed. In other words, if you visit 5 plastic surgeons you might come away with 5 different  recommendations. Therefore, seeking additional consultations may be helpful to you;  more so than online consultation ( where the consultants do not have the benefit of examining you and or communicating your goals).

Whether the breast lift and augmentation should be done the same time  is not a question agreed-upon by all plastic surgeons. There are good plastic surgeons who will insist on doing the procedures separately and there are good plastic surgeons who can produce excellent outcomes in a single stage.

The combination breast augmentation / mastopexy surgery differs from breast augmentation surgery alone in that it carries increased risk compared to either breast augmentation or mastopexy surgery performed separately. Furthermore, the potential need for revisionary surgery is increased with breast augmentation / mastopexy surgery done at the same time.
In my opinion, the decision  to do the operation in a single or two  staged fashion becomes a judgment call made by a surgeon after direct examination of the patient.  
For me, if I see a patient who needs a great degree of lifting, who has lost a lot of skin elasticity, or  whose goal is a very large augmentation then I think it is best to do the procedures in 2 stages (in order to avoid serious complications). However, doing the procedure in one stage does increase the risks of complications in general and the potential need for further surgery. This increased risk must be weighed against the practical benefits of a single stage procedure (which most patients would prefer).

Conversely, if I see a patient who requires minimal to moderate lifting along with a small to moderate size augmentation (and has good skin quality), then doing the procedure one stage is much safer. Nevertheless, the potential risks  are greater with a 1 stage  procedure and the patient does have a higher  likelihood of needing revisionary surgery.

Ultimately, I think you will be best off selecting the plastic surgeon who you feel will most likely be able to achieve the results you are looking for and follow his/her recommendations.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastLiftAug.htm

Augmentation and lift

+2

Augmentation and lift can be done at the same time. It is a more challenging operation, but in experienced hands the outcome can be excellent. My only concern is the lolly pop incision. You seem to have moderate excess skin and may need a full lift with anchor type incision. As you can see, plastic surgeons differ in their experience and approach. You have to decide who you feel more comfortable performing your surgery.

Web reference: http://www.psaf.com/gallerypop_blift9.asp

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift and Augmentation at the same time

+2

There is some honest difference of opinion between plastic surgeons as to the advisability of performing a breast augmentation with or without an associated breast lift. My own personal approach is to perform both at the same time. If the result is successful, the patient has only one surgery. If the breast lift is performed first as a separate operation the feeling of some surgeons is that symmetry is easier to achieve and that the breast augmentation will be easier to perform at a second stage without having to be concerned about the additional complexity of tightening the skin with the breast lift. Personally, if you lean toward getting it all done in one stage I would take that approach. The main risk is if there is some postoperative asymmetry you may want a touch up procedure at a later date to adjust the scars or skin.  Best of Luck   Dr Harrell

Web reference: http://www.westonsurgery.com