Breast Lift/Reduction?

I recently had a breast reduction and a lift five days ago. Before the doctor told me that I would be a big A to a small B. since the surgery I went to Victoria secret and got measured. I measured as a 32 C. Would the swelling be that much of a difference or am I okay to purchase a C bra?

5 days after breast reduction

+2

At 5 days after a breast reduction you will probably be maximally swollen.  Give it time( a month or two) to settle down and then get sized for bras.

Sizing after lift/reduction

+2

Hi - congratulations on your surgery. Five days out from surgery is too early usually to start investing in new bras. I have my patient wait at least a month, especially if they are looking at underwire bras, as these can irritate your incisions. You will find a great deal of variation in bra sizing, so sticking to B vs C cup does not really mean anything - the most important thing is that you are happy with your breast size, and that you feel good in the clothing you wear. Your swelling will usually be present for the first month or so and your breasts will continue to change shape over the next 3-6 months, so I would not recommend getting measured again until the 1 month post op mark. 

Tracy Kadkhodayan, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift/Reduction?

+2

At 5 days you will be swollen which will affect all measurements. You will have to wait 4-6 weeks for the swelling to settle down. The cup size is not standardised as a result each manufacturer is different.

Hope this helps

Naveen Somia, MBBS, PhD, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Bra Size after Breast Surgery

+2

Thank you for your question. Normal postop swelling will not account for a cup size in difference.

Do not be too caught up in cup size, as long as you are happy with the result, choose the right bra to fit it. Cup size is a useful concept we use to relate a descriptive volume to our patients but the reality is that cup size varies for chest wall circumferences and the bra manufacturers' measure of cup size varies (sometimes markedly) between brands.

Often more expensive European brands upsize their bra cup size so a 'C' is called a 'D', etc.

I hope that helps,

Dr Kevin Ho

Kevin Ho, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Victoria Secret Bras

+2
For marketting reasons Victoria Secret upsizes you one cup size.  It makes women feel better. Cup size varies from company to company.  Focus on whether you are happy with your outcome.Cup size is an arbitrary issue.  All the best.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Bra Size after Breast Reduction

+2
  • I have never found it possible to predict exactly what bra size a patient will be after a breast reduction.  There are a couple reasons for this.  One is that cup size changes depending on the circumference of one's chest.  For example a 32 B cup is different than a 40 B cup. Secondly, bra size is often dependent on the bra manufacturer.  An A cup at one store, might be a B at another!  Lastly, a breast that has a lot of ptosis (droopiness) will fill up a bra differently than a perkier breast after a reduction or lift...
  • I can always promise my patients that their breasts will be smaller after a breast reduction, but with swelling, it can take a few months before patients will know exactly what size they will end up being.  Therefore, don't buy any expensive bras for a while!
  • Best of luck to you!

Joshua Cooper, MD, FACS

Breast Reduction and Time to Buy Bra?

+2

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction/lifting operation. Given that you are only a few days out of your surgery, I would suggest that you not spend money/time purchasing bras. You will find that the breasts will change over the course of the next few months.  I suggest my patient's weight at least 3 months before purchasing expensive bras. Until that time, soft,  sport (non-under wired) bras work well.

Best wishes; hopefully you will be please with the long-term outcome of the procedure performed.

Give It Time

+1

You should allow for proper swelling and settling to occur, this usually takes 8-13 weeks. At that point you could be fitted for a bra and that would have a much more accurate assessment. All the best --Dr. Cohen 

Michael D. Cohen, MD

1 week post-op is very early

+1

I never have my patients get formally sized until about a month or so after breast reduction or lift.  You still have too much swelling and distortion.  Be patient and follow your surgeon's instructions.

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz, MD