One Breast Larger Than the Other After Breast Augmentation/with a Lift. Is This Normal ??

I am 2 days post op and my left breast was slightly smaller pre -op. I received 425 cc in both Right and Left (moderate profile plus). My left breast is much more swollen and larger compared to my right breast. Is this normal ??

Size discrepancy following breast augmentation.

+2

At 2 days, it is far too early to tell. After a breast augmentation, you will have swelling in each breast and it is not uncommon for one breast to swell more than the other. This process can take as long as 12 weeks until all the swelling resolves. If the breast is increasing in size, you should see your plastic surgeon to be sure you do not have a hematoma or collection of blood within the breast. Close followup, adherence to the postoperative instructions, and being aware of changes in the breasts are necessary following a breast augmentation. Any concerns should be brought to the attention of your surgeon prior to the attention of an internet forum.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation asymmetry

+2

It is very common to have different sized breasts both before and after surgery. In fact, not only are the sizes often different, the position on your chest, amount of sagging, position and size of nipples and even the general shape of the breasts is almost always different from one side to the other. Some patients have a more noticeable difference than others, but even models have some asymmetry. Nobody is perfect.

In your case, I would not get too upset at this point. Two days after surgery is a little early to be judging your results. It takes 2-3 weeks for the initial swelling to resolve. It can take 2-3 months for the swelling to completely go down. Try to be patient and your will likely find that your results will improve over that time.

I hope this info helps!

Adam Rubinstein, MD

Breasts recover at different rates

+1
It is very common for the breasts to heal at different rates after breast augmentation. Swelling can also be more apparent in one breast than the other. Please wait about 4-6 months before assessing your results. All the best!

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Breast asymmetry

+1

No two breast are exactly the same and certainly early post-op, there may also be differential swelling. If they are really very different, I would be concerned about a hematoma especially if one breast is much more painful than the other. If so, call your doctor ASAP.

Asymmetry After Lift With Implants

+1

Minor or small differences between breasts after surgery are not uncommon and usually resolve with time. However, perfect symmetry is not always possible. If one breast is significantly different in size or shape, then you should discuss this sooner rather than later to be sure that a hematoma has not developed. If this is the case then surgery may be needed to remove the excess blood. Good luck.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry after Breast Augmentation

+1

If there is a marked asymmetry in the first few days after surgery, then you need to let your doctor know right away to make sure there is no fluid collection or bleeding - this would be very unusual but should be checked out.  If there is a slight asymmetry or contour difference, then you should also point this out at your follow up appointment.  It may just be due to swelling and more often than not evens out over the next few weeks.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Post-operative asymmetry

+1

As has been mentioned by the other respondents, it is not uncommon to have some degree of asymmetry after surgery. Typically this resolves with time but if you have "much more" swelling on one side you should be evaluated by your plastic surgeon to see if there is any sign of bleeding or fluid collections that can occur around the implant. This would usually cause quite a bit more pain on the affected side, possibly show bruising and you would not be able to use that arm as readily as the less affected side. The bottom line is that you should contact your plastic surgeon to be evaluated to hopefully reassure you that your recovery is progressing well. I hope this helps.

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Difference in size after breast augmentation

+1

Although it is difficult to say with examining you, I am highly concerned that you have a hematoma around your implant.  Although swelling can change sizes, if your smaller breat is now larger, as a surgeon, i would assume a hematoma until I saw that it was not. 

You need to contact your surgeon. If it is a hematoma, fixing it is easy.  A quick trip to the OR to clean it out and you will be back in shape.   Good Luck!

Gordon Lewis, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after breast augmentation

+1
It is not uncommon for swelling to be uneven after breast augmentation surgery. However, if the swollen left breast is red, tender, has streaking or if you are febrile, then there would be cause for concern. To alleviate your anxiety about this, you should see your plastic surgeon in followup.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Post op Swelling ....

+1

It is not unusual to have slightly different sized breasts soon after a breast augmentation. As the swelling subsides, you should even out. However, if the difference in volume is significant, then your surgeon needs to make sure that you do not have a collection of fluid or blood (a seroma or hematoma), which may need to be addressed. See your surgeon soon!

Brian Klink, MD
Vacaville Plastic Surgeon