Is Getting Breast Implants First and Lift Later a Bad Idea?

I'm 134lb with 34B's and I'm looking into having a breast agmentation. I've had 3 children so my breast do sag, but I'm not sure if a lift is needed. I'm thinking of getting the implants (full C) and if I'm not happy getting the lift later. Is this a bad idea?

Breast Implants First and Breast Lift Later Can Be A Good Idea

+2

Breast Implants and Breast Lift at the same operation can be difficult and requires a lot of experience on the part of your surgeon, although many can do it successfully.

Often it is possible to successfully do a Breast Implant in a mildly sagging Breast and a lift is not required.

If there is a question of a lift being necessary it is acceptable to do the Breast .Augmentation first and wait 6 months to see how the implant falls and alters breast shape. Then a lift can be done and the breast shaped appropriately to the implant.

I prefer to have the option to shape the breast to the new implant with a secondary lift procedure.

If the lift is done first and recurrent sagging has occurred as is common, more surgery will be required to re-lift the breast at the time of the Breast Implant operation.

Is getting breast implants first and lift later a bad idea?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! These two procedures can effectively and safely be performed in one setting. Staging the procedures to have them done at various times will likely not have any cost benefit for you. When you combine procedures, there is often a discount that is provided by the surgeon for multiple procedures.  Also, when having multiple procedures performed at the same time, you save on anesthesia and facility fees, which otherwise are paid for with each individual procedure.  In addition, you may benefit by the single recovery time. However, your plastic surgeon will have to determine for you if the viability of the breast as well as nipple-areolar complex may be placed at jeopardy if done at the same time.  For this reason, it would be wise to stage these procedures.

Certainly it is you decision as to whether you have your procedures performed in one or multiple stages, but your surgeon will give his/her recommendations. Consult with a plastic surgeon well-versed in breast surgery who ill discuss and examine you, while assisting you to decide which procedure will be the best option for you.   I would discuss your concerns with your surgeon and see what your options are - sometimes multiple consultations with board-certified plastic surgeons is helpful for you to decide. Hope that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Not a bad idea to get breast implants then lift later, if necessary

+1
Approximately 50% of my patients who seek breast augmentation and a lift have the procedures performed at separate times. Known as “staged” augmentation mastopexy, this approach has a longer safety record than when both procedures are performed at the same time, in a single surgery (known as single-stage, of which the other 50% of patients have performed).

The benefits of having the two procedures performed at different times include the following:

• Good control over the outcome of each procedure, since the subsequent procedure can be better designed to improve on the results that have been achieved.
  • A lower rate of additional surgery to correct undesirable results, since it is harder to predict results from the single-stage approach.
  • Better selection of surgical techniques to minimize incisions and resulting scars
  • A lower complication rate as the single-stage approach is associated with higher risks and complications, including disruption to the blood supply to the tissues and capsular contracture.
As a result, if you don't want a lift at the moment then you really shouldn't get it done. In addition, you may be able to get a minor to moderate lift with breast augmentation alone. I do this by selecting the right type of implants and the right type of surgical techniques. In fact, 95% of my patients who have been properly selected for this are satisfied with the amount of lift they achieve with implants alone.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Breast Augmentation

+1

The combination of a breast lift and augmentation can be a challenging body contouring procedure.  Sometimes it can be combined into one procedure or separated into 2 stages.  My usual approach is if both a lift and implants are required and I decide on 2 stages, then I will do the lift first followed by an augmentation 3 months or longer as the 2nd stage.  However, there are some cases when I am not certain a lift will be necessary.  There are some internal procedures on the breast pocket that may allow implants to "settle" into the breast more readily still achieving a proportion enlargement without the lift.  These uncertain cases however must be counsuled that if the augmentation alone does not fill out the breast as desired a second stage lift may be necessary to correct any residual breast laxity and drooping.  I hope this information is helpful.

Ronald H. Stefani Jr, MD

Mastopexy with augmentation is a demanding procedure

+1

Mastopexy with augmentation is difficult and seldom yields the results we associate with first time augmentation alone. There are a lot of factors that contribute to this but probably most important is that the tissues are less elastic and more difficult to reshape. In addition to simply adding volume it is necessary to remove skin and often reshape the breast tissue that is present. Often the tissues are not symmetrical. Doing the mastopexy as a second procedure gives one a better idea of what needs to be done. The healing need not be compromised by the augmentation. Small revisions can be performed at that time as well.

Even in the best hands, revision may me necessary. It is more likely that a revision would be necessary if a mastopexy and augmentation is performed together than a simple augment or mastopexy alone and you need to be aware of this.

Thomas R. Walek, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation first lift later

+1

Depending on the degree of sagging it is at times a possibility to have a breast augmentation with out a breast lift and see if the results are satisfying to the patient and avoiding the need for a breast lift scars. If the breast sagging is significant and a breast augmentation is done first with out a lift the breast may look strange since they may "hang" over the implant and give what is called a "snoopy deformity" which can be corrected by a breast lift surgery.

Good luck! 

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

Breast augment and breast lift

+1

If you are not sure whether you need a breast lift along with a breast augment, then I think it is very reasonable to wait and see how things turn out with just the augment.  Some surgeons prefer to do an augment first routinely , giving the breasts a chance to settle and then come back and do the lift later, believing they get a better result that way. 

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift

+1

Your approach to the situation is quite reasonable.  A breast implant and lift can be done as two separate procedures and is especially appropriate if you are not sure if you need a lift and  want to avoid the scars. It would be nice to see photos of you in order to be able to better predict if you will need a lift so you might want to resubmit your question with photos.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Implants than a lift

+1

It is certainly possible to perform an augmentation first and do a lift later if you are not sure.  That is certainly safe.  I commonly do it at the same time.

It's OK to get implants first and then a lift later

+1

It's OK to get implants first and then a lift later in borderline cases when the patient is not sure if she wants the additional scars.  The downside is having two surgeries and paying a full price for both (as compared to getting a break when doing two procedures at the same time).

Ultimately, it comes down to how confident you feel a lift now would be beneficial, or if you want to wait and see.  In terms of the outcome either way will give you the same result in the end.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD, FRCSC

Martin Jugenburg, MD