Possible Breast Infection, How Do I Know?

I had a breast lift along with implant surgery about 2 weeks ago.Yesterday while at work I kept noticing this weird smell.Once I came home I took a shower and while drying off noticed the odor was coming from under my breast where the tape was. I pealed the tape off and put basitracin on it.Slept without a bra all night.After coming home from work today I noticed blood on my bra and what looks like blisters under both breasts where the insision comes together. Could it be infected?

Breast infection

+1

It sounds like from your description that you have a tape burn or superficial skin loss at the base of your incisions. However, without an exam I could not be sure.  Infections usually cause pain, redness, tenderness, and sometimes drainage.

Possible postoperative infection

+1
You should see your surgeon as soon as possible to be evaluated. Infection is usually associated with redness, pain, swelling, fevers over 101.5 and/or purulent (creamy or pus-like and perhaps bloody) drainage. The blisters may be secondary to the tapes and adhesive. Your surgeon needs to exam you to tell you for sure.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift healing problems

+1

You need to call your plastic surgeon today and go right in for an exam.  It might be an infection or it might be just some irritation in the incision line.  Only they can tell by examining you.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Possible infection.

+1

Hello. It sounds as though you may have an infection. I would recommend you contact your surgeon as soon as possible to avoid any further scarring or open wounds. Best of luck.

Jaime Perez, MD

Possible Infection following breast Implant

+1

I would recomend you call your surgeon immediately and have him evaluate the incision line you describe. It could be a minor skin infection which may be amenable simply to a course of oral antibiotics.  If you wait too long ,and it is indeed an infection, it may spread and compromise the implants.  Its better to be safe than sorry.  Best of luck.

Raj S. Ambay, MD