Have a Fever After Draining From Breast Infection, Is It a Side Effect Of The Infection or the Antibiotics?

I had a breast infection went to dr. They drained it and put some medicine strip inside the nipple. I removed after two days like I was told to do. Then my antibiotics made me sick. Had to stop taking them. My fever had quit but now I have one coming back the next day. So is this still a side effect from medicine or do I still have infection in my breast?

Infection

+2

It's so hard to help you on this whithout seeing photos and knowing the whole story.  It seems like you had a small abscess that was drained.  I'm not sure what your implant status is or anything.  Draining an abscess and caring for the wound is often sufficient- but that may or may not be the case in your situation.  With an open wound, an infection, implants, etc, you really need to be under the frequent observation of your doctor.  An infection in your breast does not imply an infection involving your implants but one can certainly lead to the other and that would be unfortunate if it's merely because you're not seeking adequate treatment.  You must see your doctor and get him/her to answer these qestions after directy looking at the wound.  I hope this helps!  Scott Newman, MD FACS

Postoperative infection.

+1
 This type of question requires you to follow up with your plastic surgeon to determine the answer. There is not enough information here to make a determination.

Christopher Khorsandi, MD

So you are worried about drainage from breast...

+1

An examination is always necessary. You will need frequent follow up with your plastic surgeon. Your surgeon can then drain the fluid and send it for culture.

Jacob Freiman, MD, FACS
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast infection.

+1

Unfortunately, there is no way to answer your question on an internet site. You need an examination, possibly lab work, and likely culture results. Recommendations are to follow your doctor's instructions, keep them aware of any changes in your symptoms, and if you are concerned -> see you doctor right away!

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast Infection

+1
You didn't say what type of surgery you had. Was it breast augmentation? Either way fever after draining an infection is an ongoing infection until proven otherwise. You need to get right back to your surgeon and not worry about any other suggestions.

Joseph Fata, MD

Fever after augmentation

+1

Fever is a sign of infection usually do not have a fever caused by the antibiotics. The fact that you did not complete your antibiotic treatment and still have a fever is a major concern.

You must go see your doctor and let them know that you did not complete your antibiotics and you still have fever.

Wendell Perry, MD

Tratment for Breast Infection

+1

A breast infection in a woman with breast augmentation needs careful attention to prevent it from spreading from the breast to the implant.  It can be difficult to clear an infection if it develops in the implant pocket.  Your surgeon can help decide whether your medicine should be continued or perhaps changed to an alternative drug. Close follow up is important for you.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Fever and breast infection needs prompt care

+1

After breast augmentation, breast lift, or reduction, drainage and fever are very serious signs and need prompt and through attention from your surgeon. You should see your surgeon without delay, and keep close and regular followup.

peterejohnsonmd

Fever post operative

+1

return to your surgeon and let them check you. You must rule out that the infection is resolved before assuming it is from the antibiotics.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Go to your doctor!

+1
I believe all of the answers here will have the same message- go to your doctor as soon as possible!!

Brian Klink, MD
Vacaville Plastic Surgeon