I've been so insecure for far too long with my Acup. Should I get Breast Implants?

I want to get breast implants. I've been so insecure for far too long with my Acup. My boyfriend LOVES big breasts and without realizing he will make me feel bad about myself. My sister thinks I'm stupid for even thinking about getting bigger breasts. She is a Dcup. She's also a nurse and tells me she has treated women who got flesh eating disease from implants, losing their breasts and face. Should I not get them? I still want them badly.

Get the breast implants for yourself not your boyfriend.

+1

First of all breast augmentation is extremely safe. Your sister should put a lid on the flesh eating nonsense. Don't get breast implants because he your boyfriend. If you want larger breasts a breast augmentation is a good way to go. She's a good surgeon and do your due diligence.

Breast Implants and Self-Image

+1

Hi Nrenee,  There is only one person who you need to please if you should decide to have a breast augmentation and that person is you.  Please do not do it for your boyfriend or for anyone else but you.  The vast majority of women who have had breast augmentation are very happy with their implants but they did it for the right reasons...to make themselves happier with their appearance and self-esteem.

As many of the other plastic surgeons have already answered, in over 20 years of performing breast augmentations, I have never seen nor heard of the complication that your sister is describing.  Of course there can be complications with any surgery including breast augmentation which is why a personal consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is a must before proceeding further.  Best of luck.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant

+1

Hi

You should only get implants when you are comfortable with the decision. I certainly wouldn't get them because your partner loves big breasts.

As for your sister's comments. Well I have never seen "flesh eating bacteria" attack implants. Not sure where your sister works, but this is very inaccurate.

Good luck with your decision.

Pouria Moradi, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Should I Get Breast Implants?

+1

From what I gather from the question, No. 

Patients who have cosmetic procedures to please someone other than themselves have the highest rate of dissatisfaction with the outcomes. Many surgeons hearing your motivation would not offer surgery.

As to flesh eating bacteria, in almost 3 decades of practice doing largely breast plastic surgery I have never seen this either in my primary practice, or as a referral to a tertiary care hospital. 

All the best. 

Candidate for a breast augmentation

+1

A breast augmentation should be done only for yourself and not to please anyone else.  As far as a flesh eating bacteria I can tell you that in 25 years of performing breast augmentation I have never heard of or seen this condition.  

The issue of A cup breasts or risk with surgery is not the primary focus here

+1

I think that before you even consider the actual size of your breasts or the risks involved with any surgery, you need to take a good long look at what YOU really want for YOURSELF, not your boyfriend, not your sister, not anyone else.  This is a surgical procedure that you are considering to change your appearance and the function of your body, and you need to be very certain of your goals and motivations before going any further in researching the actual procedure.  If, at the end of your reflection, you conclude that you would be happier and feel better about yourself with larger breasts, then find a board certified plastic surgeon who you connect with personally, and explore the options available to do what you personally want to do to change your body for yourself.  But you are really asking a question that only you can (or should) answer.  Good luck.

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz, MD

Breast implants, to get or not to get.

+1

Dear Renée,

Getting breast augmentation is a very personal choice. You should do it for yourself not for your boyfriend or any other person. Patients feel that they have more self-esteem and feel better about themselves after having had breast augmentation surgery. While complications are possible rare events in any surgery, I have personally not had devastating complication as described by your sister.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS