College Student Too Young for Breast Implants?

I'm 19 years old in college and have been unhappy with my flat chest for years. My breasts are the same size since I was 14. I've been researching breast implants since I was 17and I made up my mind, I can't wait any longer. I'm planning a trip that's 4 hours away. Will they say I'm too young?

I think you sound like a great candidate

+2

You sound like a very good candidate for breast augmentation surgery-- you're over 18, you have thought it over for some time, and there is a clear cosmetic benefit that will result from your procedure. My advice is to find someone that will give you the results that you desire, and for young women like yourself, I will often recommend a more modest-sized implant that will look very natural over time. I think if you go too big too early in your life your skin will pay a price and stretch a bit too much, and over time cause an unnatural look to the breasts.

Take your time, look at lots of before and after photos from your surgeon, and go with the individual that you feel the most comfortable with.

Good luck!

Dr. Salemy

Web reference: http://www.drsalemy.com

Minimum Age For Implants

+2

Thanks for the question -

There are three ages to look at.

Physical Age: The minimum physical age most doctors use is 18.

Physiologic Age: This can be more complicated and is dictated by issues you present like the fact that your breast growth seems to have stabilized.

Emotional Age: Surgery and breast implants require a degree of maturity to correctly understand the risks, benefits and alternatives as well as to comply with post-operative requirements to maximize results.

From your brief post, it does sounds like you meet all three. Be sure to find a board certified plastic surgeon.

19 is a common age

+2

Chances are your development is complete at age 19.

Chances are also good that you are intelligent and can make your own decisions with respect to implant size, shape, texture, configuration, and most important your choice of surgeon.

There are long-term maintenance costs for breast implants, but the great majority of women who get them, particularly those with your problem, are very happy with their decision.

At 19, you aren't necessarily too young

+2

If you are a mature 19 and if you do your research and understand all the pros and cons of doing a breast augmentation at your age, it is not too early.  I have done this often for the right patients and they have all done extremely well. 

Web reference: http://www.randcosmeticsurgery.com

With breast implants, it's the individual more than their age

+1

A mature, well informed person with reasonable expectations is the ideal patient...age does not matter as much.

I have seen college students whose sense of confidence and well-being has improved dramatically after this surgery. Hope it goes well.

Schenectady Plastic Surgeon

Probably not too young for breast implants

+1

If you are a mature 19, you should do well with an augmentation. Most surgeons start performing these in 18 - 19 year old women. If you are traveling 4 hours for your consultation, why don't you call the surgeon and ask him first!

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

You will do great with implants.

+1

Hi! My 3 requirements are:

1) Your breasts have not changed in years, so they are not going to grow on their own.

2) You have thought about it for a couple of years. So this is not an impulse.

3) You are flat. My advice would be very different if you had a C cup and wanted to be a D cup.

Also, you sound mature, and you are doing research, which is good.

You will need to get saline implants, though. According to the FDA, you cannot have silicone implants until you are 22. But that's fine. Thousands of women are very happy with saline implants.

You are not too young for breast implants

+1

My only advice to you is this. The recommended lowest limit for cosmetic implants is 18. If you earn the money yourself than you are mature/old/responsible enough for the procedure.

18 is usually the lower age limit

+1

If you know what you want and how to get it - go for it. Just be reasonable and look for something that fits your body. If you have your families support - even better. I do many young women your age. It is a reasonable thing to ask for and do.

Chronological age is different from emotional age...

+1

For silicone implants, you will need to wait until you are 23 under the current FDA guidelines. Saline implants may or may not by ideal for your situation and you would need to understand the risks and potential side effects of their use. Generally, using the smallest implant to get you what will make you happy is better than trying to fit the largest implant you can. Some teenage are very mature and some are very immature. A surgeon should spend adequate time with you (I usually require a minimum of two in-office visits) to assess your maturity and ability to understand the samifications of the surgery including long-term consequences and the probability of maintenance over the years including re-operation over time. If you understand and accept all the risks as well as the benefits, then chronological age becomes less of an issue.