I had breast implants 4 years ago. I lost most of the sensation in my breast, is it possible the sensation is now coming back?

I am starting to feel things again in my left breast. Under the nipple right down to the incision is numb. It feels as if there is something in there if that makes any sense. I had a mammogram, an ultra sound and an MRI and they all came back perfect. Is it possible that i am just getting the feeling back in that area?

Return of sensation after breast augmentation can take a long time

+1
Thank you for your question.  Return of sensation following loss of feeling after breast augmentation can take a very long time.  Typically nerve function returns slowly over the course of 2 years.  However late change in sensory nerve function can occur after a much longer period of time including 4-5 years.

4 years after implants

+1
At 4 years after having breast implants, it is not likely that you will get sensation back at this point, although I suppose anything is possible.

Yes you can regain sensation!

+1
The loss of sensation can occur.  This can happen from stretching of the nerves especially laterally.Please find an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and member of the Aesthetic Society using the Smart Beauty Guide. These Plastic Surgeons can guide you on all aspects of facial surgery, breast augmentation and body procedures including tummy tucks or mommy makeovers!

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

Sensation returning after 4 years?

+1
It is very unlikely that after 4 years of no change there would be any subsequent change in breast sensation.  Assuming that exam, as well as imaging studies, are normal, you should have no concerns.  That being said, as long as this just "doesn't feel right" you should be seen periodically by your plastic surgeon justy to be sure.

William A. Terranova, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

Regaining Sensation

+1
It would be odd to take that long for sensation to return, but as I always tell my patients, your body doesn't read the textbook. As long as everything is OK, give it time and see what happens. 

Matthew Becker, MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon