I Got Breast Implants 5 Weeks Ago. They Are Not Even!

I got breast implants 5 weeks ago,I started off with a 34B, got 350 cc's filled to 405 cc's on both sides. The first 3 weeks they looked very even but then I noticed that my right breasts seemed higher then the left one but they looked the same size. Now the right is still higher then the left and it is fuller, rounder and bigger!!! I am trying not to panic as it is only 5 weeks but I am starting to worry that I am going to need a revision!! Advice would be appreciated thank you!

Implants Uneven at Five Weeks

1. Yes your implants are a little bit uneven with the right higher but it is quite early and with massage and settling in the next few months, this may well correct itself.
  2. I also feel your implants are a bit large which causes the superior fullness to be more prominent.
  3. Give it time and followup with your surgeon.

Breast Asymmetry and Typical Recovery

Your implants seem to be positioned high but may drop with time. They also appear quite large. I try to discourage my patients from going too big because of long-term damage to your skin and soft tissues.  Overtime the skin and soft tissues thin out to the point that your breasts may never feel or look right.  It is important to use a precise measuring system to determine what implant size and shape is best for your exact body and tissue.

When you go beyond these then problems become more likely. You may want to consider wearing a band in the upper part of your chest to push the implants down and be patient to see what happens long term. Asymmtry is a natural part of life with our face and bodies and there is no such thing as perfect symmetry.

One technique and recovery concept that allows you to determine your best size and to improve your recovery and limit swelling is the flash recovery breast augmentation technique.  This is based on a 24 hour recovery technique developed by one of my mentors Dr. Tebbetts.  I termed this the flash recovery breast augmentation technique in a tongue and cheek sort of way so that my Los Angeles and Beverly Hills patients understand how quick your recovery can actually be.

Ashkan Ghavami, MD

Breast and symmetric healing after augmentation

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photos. During the post-operative period the breast are swollen, and the breast implants appear in a much higher position. Over time they descend and fills out the lower half of the breast. In addition, it is not uncommon for one breast to be more swollen than the other and may even out with time (unless they were asymmetric in size to begin with). It may take several months for this to happen and can be encouraged with breast massage and compression. It may appear that the breast enlarges as the lower aspect of the breast fills out (at the expense of the upper portion of the breast).

Thank you for your question. Your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, advice, predictions, and/or meaningful reassurance.
Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery and massaging the implants downward may assist in the dropping of the implants after surgery (for those patients who want to help with the settling of the implants). The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized.

Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. It is very common for one side to settle faster than the other.
Sometimes, one or both breasts implants do not settle as planned and revisionary breast surgery becomes necessary to improve the outcome. On other occasions, if the long-term breast asymmetry is mild ( understanding that absolute symmetry is very rarely achieved), patients will need to decide whether proceeding with revisionary breast surgery is worth the potential downsides associated with additional surgery.
Again, best to follow your plastic surgeon for more specifics. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.

VIDEO: Preferential breast implant displacement exercises to lower a higher implant

IT is still early and I will sometimes use preferential breast implant displacement exercises on the right side performed 2-3 times as more frequently as the left side. I have attached a video but discuss this with your surgeon prior to commencing.

Assymetry after Augmentation

At 5 wks postop the left is settling faster than the right.  Massage should help unless there is  a muscle release issue or an early capsule problem. Time will tell.

Daniel J. Casper, MD, FACS

Postop patients

Dont panic.  Massage the implant down and let things settle over 4-6 months. I am pretty sure you'll be happy.

Blane T. Shatkin, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant, asymmetry

It is a good idea to wear a bandeau, that will apply pressure on the superior pole, you could wear only on the right side. Gentle squeezing of the implant at the superior pole can help to descend the implant by expanding the lower pole.

Sanjay Parashar, MD
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry right after breast implant surgery

It's normal to have some asymmetry of your breasts after breast augmentation.  Each breast will heal at slightly different rates and may descend or lower sooner than the other.  It can take up to four months for your implants to "settle" after surgery.  If you feel the difference in size or position of the implants is very noticeable than I suggest you see your plastic surgeon to make sure you don't have early signs of capsular contracture (scar tissue).

Dr. Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Early asymmetry after augmentation

Make sure you are not wearing a push-up bra for 8 weeks and make sure you are not over-using your right arm or doing pec exercises.  All these things can pull the implant up.  It is too soon to worry about a revision but work closely with your doctor about what you can do to reduce the difference such as massage.