Underwire Bra Required After Getting Breast Implants?

Do I have to wear an underwire bra with implants? I don't find them comfortable.

You need good support

+4

All breasts, whether augmented, reduced or natural, need to be well supported. This prevents tissue stretching and helps to control the natural aging process of the breasts. I recommend to all of my patients to buy well made bras from boutiques that specialize in sizing. Bras don't have to be underwire but they do need to be made well to provide good continuous support. You spent good money to get great lookin breasts, spend a little more to keep them looking great.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Underwires after breast augmentation depends on the procedure

+2

It commonly depends on the surgery performed.

In the instance of performing a corrective breast augmentation for constricted or asymmetic or secondary breast augmentation procedures, it is not uncommon to have to adjust the height of the breast crease. In these specific cases and especially capsulorrhaphy, I may request that the patient wear an underwire bra 24/7 for 6 weeks and avoid strenous excercises or activity that may disrupt the repair.

In conditions of primary breast augmentation of relatively symmetric breasts, I actually prefer that women avoid or minimize use of the underwire bra to avoid upward displacement of the implant in the breast pocket.

The bra does not make much difference

+2

To Sara,

Hi.  The key is to place the implants in just the right pocket.  After surgery, we either use a sports bra or no bra.  You certainly don't need an underwire bra.  Some women like to wear an underwire bra, and then we tell them to start one month after surgery.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Underwire not required

+2

Sara,

In fact, most plastic surgeons forbid underwire bras for the first few weeks after a breast augmentation.  Thereafter, most plastic surgeons, myself included, allow you to wear whatever is comfortable for you.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Ultimately yes you do need them!!

+2

Until you are fully healed, soft bras are the way to go as Dr. Chang mentioned. However, adding the weight of an implant to your normal breast weight puts additional force on the skin of your chest wall and your back muscles. Good support is very important to avoid undue descent of your implants and to avoid undue stress on your back. Also, when you are out exercising, in my practice, I have patients wear two bras (one underwire and one sports) to keep the implants well supported. If you have sun damaged skin or a large number of stretch marks on your breasts, you could find that the implants eventually sit too low on your chest. Then you would need a Miracle Bra. Good luck.

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

No underwire bra

+2

I'm not quite sure where you are in your recovery.

Immediately post-operatively, my breast augmentation patients wear either the surgical bra that was placed on in the operating room, or a soft sports-type bra. I ask them to buy one that clasps in the front, so that the act of putting it on is not too difficult.

I tell my patients to avoid underwire bras completely for six weeks after the operation. If the implants were placed through an inframammary incision (immediately below the breast), the underwires can rub this and lead to wound healing problems.

I generally don't encourage underwire bras, and the pressure they can place under the breast can be quite uncomfortable.

Hope this helps!

Eric Chang, MD

You don't have to wear an undewire bra after getting breast implants

+1
You absolutely do not have to wear a bra with underwire after getting breast implants. In fact, they can cause unnecessary complications and should be avoided for the first two months following surgery. These complications include irritation caused by the wire rubbing against the skin (something that you may not notice due to possible numbness). Patients who have an infra-mammary incision should be especially careful as an underwire bra is capable of displacing the implants if it is worn too often or too soon. The underwire is often improperly shaped and provides inadequate support of the breast shortly after surgery. The best bra to wear is something with good support, especially during your recovery. This is generally a sports bra.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Implants and underwire bras

+1

I'm told by some of the revision breast patients that I treat that their original plastic surgeon told them to "never" wear an underwire bra. I agree that they are not necessary in the early recovery period in the primary breast augmentation patient until they are at least 4 weeks into their recovery. In breast revision patients, especially where I have had to repair a dropped fold I get my patients into underwire sooner for external support as long as it is not uncomfortable for them. As you can tell by the other answers, there are many different opinions. I wish you well.

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Underwire bras

+1

I do not recommend underwire bras during the early post-operative period.  If the implants are placed through an inframammary fold, the wire can push on the incision and create problems.

The use of an underwire bra varies in my practice

+1

In general, implant sizes have gone up over the past 5-8 years based on popular demand for fuller looking breasts. This means heavier implants with a higher tendancy to descend and possibly bottom out. Consequently, I do recommend an underwire bra for those patients with larger implants. Also, some patients have vague or asymmetric inframammary creases and I use an underwire in them when I am trying to create a more defined fold or one that is more symmetric. It is a form of external splinting.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS