Underwire Bra Required After Getting Breast Implants?

Do I have to wear an underwire bra with implants? I don't find them comfortable.

You need good support

All breasts, whether augmented, reduced or natural, need to be well supported. This prevents tissue stretching and helps to control the natural aging process of the breasts. I recommend to all of my patients to buy well made bras from boutiques that specialize in sizing. Bras don't have to be underwire but they do need to be made well to provide good continuous support. You spent good money to get great lookin breasts, spend a little more to keep them looking great.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

3930 Pender Drive
Fairfax, VA 22030

Underwires after breast augmentation depends on the procedure

It commonly depends on the surgery performed.

In the instance of performing a corrective breast augmentation for constricted or asymmetic or secondary breast augmentation procedures, it is not uncommon to have to adjust the height of the breast crease. In these specific cases and especially capsulorrhaphy, I may request that the patient wear an underwire bra 24/7 for 6 weeks and avoid strenous excercises or activity that may disrupt the repair.

In conditions of primary breast augmentation of relatively symmetric breasts, I actually prefer that women avoid or minimize use of the underwire bra to avoid upward displacement of the implant in the breast pocket.

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

The bra does not make much difference

To Sara,

Hi.  The key is to place the implants in just the right pocket.  After surgery, we either use a sports bra or no bra.  You certainly don't need an underwire bra.  Some women like to wear an underwire bra, and then we tell them to start one month after surgery.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

875 Park Ave at 78th Street
New York, NY 10075

Underwire not required

In fact, most plastic surgeons forbid underwire bras for the first few weeks after a breast augmentation.  Thereafter, most plastic surgeons, myself included, allow you to wear whatever is comfortable for you.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD, FACS

114 E. 71st Street
New York, NY 10021

Ultimately yes you do need them!!

Until you are fully healed, soft bras are the way to go as Dr. Chang mentioned. However, adding the weight of an implant to your normal breast weight puts additional force on the skin of your chest wall and your back muscles. Good support is very important to avoid undue descent of your implants and to avoid undue stress on your back. Also, when you are out exercising, in my practice, I have patients wear two bras (one underwire and one sports) to keep the implants well supported. If you have sun damaged skin or a large number of stretch marks on your breasts, you could find that the implants eventually sit too low on your chest. Then you would need a Miracle Bra. Good luck.

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

101 University Blvd
Denver, CO 80206

No underwire bra

I'm not quite sure where you are in your recovery.

Immediately post-operatively, my breast augmentation patients wear either the surgical bra that was placed on in the operating room, or a soft sports-type bra. I ask them to buy one that clasps in the front, so that the act of putting it on is not too difficult.

I tell my patients to avoid underwire bras completely for six weeks after the operation. If the implants were placed through an inframammary incision (immediately below the breast), the underwires can rub this and lead to wound healing problems.

I generally don't encourage underwire bras, and the pressure they can place under the breast can be quite uncomfortable.

Hope this helps!

Eric Chang, MD

8860 Columbia 100 Pkwy #206
Columbia, MD 21045

Breast Compression Garments Following Breast Augmentation

In the vast majority of breast augmentation patients underwire bras aren’t necessary following surgery. In this group, support bras without underwires may be helpful but even this recommendation may be controversial. There doesn’t seem to be a consensus amongst plastic surgeons regarding this issue. In fact, many plastic surgeons don’t even recommend a bra following breast augmentation surgery. Unfortunately there are no scientific studies that clarify this issue.
A complex relationship exists between breast tissue, wound healing biology, breast implants, and gravity in patients who have undergone breast augmentation surgery. It makes sense that breast implants can exert significant downward pressure on the soft tissue of the breasts. Over the course of time, this might lead to soft tissue stretching and bottoming out of breast implants.
For this reason, we feel it’s appropriate to wear a bra for support following breast augmentation surgery. This is especially true when larger implants have been used and placed on top of the pectoralis muscles. In some cases, the use of an underwire bra may add additional support.
It’s important to remember that each patient’s situation is unique. For this reason, post-operative care should be individualized. Under these circumstances, it’s appropriate that you discuss this issue with your plastic surgeon. Your surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that’s appropriate for you.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

8900 West Dodge Road
Omaha, NE 68114

You don't have to wear an undewire bra after getting breast implants

You absolutely do not have to wear a bra with underwire after getting breast implants. The best bra to wear is something with good support, especially during your recovery. This is generally a sports bra.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

362 Fairlawn Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5M 1T6

Implants and underwire bras

I'm told by some of the revision breast patients that I treat that their original plastic surgeon told them to "never" wear an underwire bra. I agree that they are not necessary in the early recovery period in the primary breast augmentation patient until they are at least 4 weeks into their recovery. In breast revision patients, especially where I have had to repair a dropped fold I get my patients into underwire sooner for external support as long as it is not uncomfortable for them. As you can tell by the other answers, there are many different opinions. I wish you well.

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

8530 W Sunset Rd
Las Vegas, NV 89113

Underwire bras

I do not recommend underwire bras during the early post-operative period.  If the implants are placed through an inframammary fold, the wire can push on the incision and create problems.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028