Can Behind the Muscle Implants Help Lift Breasts?

I am 47 years old. I am currently a 34D size. My nipples are not completely displaced downward, only slightly. Can breast augmentation behind the muscle help fill in and lift without the breast lift procedure? If this can help, will it change my breast size?

Achieving a breast lift with implants

+2

Breast implants do not lift breasts.

They may appear to lift the breasts if the breasts are deflated, but they are actually only filling up the skin envelope.

If the distance from the sternal notch to the nipple is too long, and the nipple is at or below the lower fold of the breast, no type of implant will correct the drooping. It may camouflage it, by moving the breasts more onto the stomach, but patients who have LARGE saggy breasts and put an implant in to correct the problem usually end up with LARGER saggy breasts.

While it may seem like splitting hairs, these distinctions are very important for predicting the result of your surgery.

Breast lift with behind the muscle implants

+2

A breast lift can only be accomlished with a breast lift. An augmentation in any position in a 47 year-old, 34 D patient will only produce a larger breast, which will soon sag even MORE. If the prosthesis is completely behind the muscle the breast  will have a long shape or a "double bubble."

Barry H. Dolich, MD
Bronx Plastic Surgeon

Implants don't lift the breast above or below the muscle

+2

There is an urban myth among plastic surgeons that implants above the muscle can mildly lift the breasts. In my opinion, seeing many patients whom other doctors have tried this on, the look they get is more of a ball in sock rather than a nice lifted breast. Nobody believes behind the muscle implants will lift the breasts.

If you are a D cup, the weight of your breasts will cause you to need a lift if you want the best look. The implant will give you upper pole fullness.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast implants add volume, a breast lift lifts breasts

+1
Breast implants add volume, a breast lift lifts breasts.  It's that simple.  A large implant can fill in loose breast skin and create an appearance of a lift however most often when patients ask for a lift with implants only, they really need a lift.  Providing pictures is helpful as without them a proper answer cannot be given.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Breast lift with implants alone

+1
I would have to see you in person to say for sure, but this is what I do to maximize lift with a breast implant alone:

- use silicone cohesive gel implants. The more cohesive the better. I am not sure if these are available yet in the US, but the Allergan Inspira Truform 2 implants are ideal

- use high profile implants. The more projection you have, the more lift you will get

- have the implants placed in the submammary pocket (under the breast itself). You should have a pinch thickness at the top of your breast of at least 2 cm

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Breast Implants "Lift" Breasts

+1

Breast implants do not allow for breast lifting;  however, for the right patient the breast implants may fill the skin envelope such that an "illusion"  of breast lifting is achieved. Nevertheless, if a woman's breasts'  anatomy is such that breast lifting is necessary, breast implants alone will not be sufficient.

I hope this helps.

Breast lift and implants

+1

Implants behind the muscle or above the muscle increase the volume but do not lift the breasts.  A formal lift is usually required.

Breast aug/lift

+1

I would like to see a picture.  However, most women in my experience need a formal breast lift.  Generally speaking, breast augmentation does not lift the breast or the nipple.  Unfortunately, many women are still told that it does.

Samer W. Cabbabe, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift also needed for sagging breasts with low lying nipples

+1

If things are as you describe, you need breast lift surgery added. It is, of course, difficult to say anything with certainty without having examined you first.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Augmentation alone will not correct sagging breasts

+1

Breast augmentation in your particular situation will not help in fact it will make the condition worse. Not only will you not get any lift from the implant you will have an unusual shape to the breast as well. This is called a snoopy dog nose breast. The implant will be held in a high position and your breast will sag and droop off of the implant. Your best option is with a breast lift.