Breast Implants Via Tummy Tuck

My surgeon says that he can insert the breast implants threw the abdomen while undergoing TT. Is there still a risk of the "trail marks" showing up on the abdomen when this method is used? Thanks

Breast Implants Via Tummy Tuck - great choice

+1
Yes not only is it possible but I prefer this technique.  Not sure what you are referring to "trail Marks" so I don't think that is a problem. Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation Combination makes sense and is safe. Contrary to some of the answers I have found that the recovery time is not delayed and is the same as the tummy tuck procedure by itself. That is because you are healing simultaneously and not sequentially - both heal at the same time. The procedure only takes me about a half hour to 45 minutes longer than the tummy tuck alone. Best of all, I usually put in the breast implants through the tummy tuck incision so that there are no scars on the breasts.
I have performed many of these combination procedures over the past few decades and think it is a great idea without significant increased complications.

Breast Implants Via Tummy Tuck

+1

i am not sure what you mean by trail marks? Suture track marks or visibility of the tunnel. The main concern with this approach is disruption of the breast crease and adquate visualizaion to create symmetrical pocketts.

Procedures that are "Possible" are NOT always in your best interests....

+1

Hi there-

While it is certainly possible to place implants through a tummy tuck incision at the time of surgery, and avoiding the additional scar seems like a cute idea, I would personally advise you against this.

I have tried this myself, and can tell you that despite my particular breast surgery expertise (I completed an additional year of training in advanced breast surgery techniques), achieving a reliably beautiful and symmetric outcome in both areas (the abdomen and the breasts) with this technique is almost impossible.

Let's first understand something very important.... Why are you pursuing aesthetic surgery?

I would think it is because you want to look your absolute best, right? Not because you want to have the cutest scar, or be able to say you had the most clever operation...

I other words, if your surgeon is able to put implants in through your belly, but after surgery your breasts look ugly- you won't be happy will you?

Let's extend this even further to really make the point... If I was somehow able to place implants into you WITH NO SURGERY AT ALL, just by using brain energy or something (imagine- implants without surgery!)... but afterwords your breasts were ugly or weird looking, the fact that you avoided surgery would not make everything alright. You would hat your breasts and wish you had had surgery and achieved beautiful breasts.

CAN implants be placed through a tummy tuck scar? Yes. Do I think it is the best way to assure you the most beautiful abdomen and breasts possible? Absolutely NOT.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Breast aug with tummy tuck

+1

It is possible to do breast augmentation while doing a tummy tuck. However, it is not always advisable. While there are some benefits to it in terms of scarring, implant placement can be tricky. Breast augmentation are more than just inserting an implant. You have to consider size, type of implant, nipple placement, etc. Please go over these factors with your plastic surgeon.

best regards,

Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD

Breast augmentation via Tummy tuck approach

+1

It used to be that a tuck was the only option for a woman with a bulging tummy. Then lipo came along, and we could do a smaller procedure with virtually no scarring. However, people who have especially slack skin in their midsection need more than what lipo can offer. Typical candidates for this surgery are women with drooping abdomens after pregnancy, women and men who've lost a great deal of weight, menopausal women, or older people with loose skin due to age. In the tummy tuck, the skin from the rib cage down to the pelvic area is tightened, and the navel is moved up and secured in a new position. To avoid multiple scars, breast implants can be placed thru the abdominal incision while still achieving good results.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Breast augmentation through the abdominoplasty incision

+1

Breast implants can be placed through an abdominoplasty incision.  It is not straightforward and can make exact positioning a bit more difficult.  An endoscope can aid in the exact placement.

It may also decrease the circulation to the tummy tuck flap if dissection is done at the level of the upper ribs, where there are many perforator vessels that would otherwise nourish the tummy tuck surgery area, so a complication may be more likely from diminished blood supply to the abdominoplasty flap.

There is concern for the inframammary fold being uneven or distorted by the dissection, or potential communication with a second large space (abdomen), which may not be totally sterile (pubic area).

However, the patient does save an incision below the breast.

Considering all the risks and benefits, we have only infrequently placed breast implants through the abdominoplasty incision.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Breast implants via tummy tuck

+1

This is very difficult technique to preform to give a great result. Yes it is possible but the dis placement of the implants occurs very frequently. Be advised get other opinions.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Breast Implants through a Tummy Tuck approach - Can be done but "a long slide for a short base"

+1

Millions of women (and other doctors) do not understand that a GOOD Breast Augmentation is much more than putting an implant into the breast. Not only is the choice of implant very important but the exact placement on the chest vis a vis the existing nipple location is crucial.

While the tummy tuck incision CAN be used to reach over the ribs and beyond, removing the muscle and creating a pocket for each implant is a bit challenging. The implant pocket is then in continuation with the Tummy Tuck pocket so an infection below could involve the implants above. Additionally, any separation of the lower pocket may be hard to reconstruct accurately.

So, while the idea of augmenting the breasts with a single incision is seductive and simple, like most simple solutions it is often wrong.

Breast implants through a tummy tuck

+1

Breast implants can certainly be placed through a tummy tuck incision.  An incision through the breast fold can easily be made via tummy tuck to gain access to the desired pocket.  I have done this many times.

Breast implants through an abdominoplasty incision

+1

Breast implants can certainly be placed through an abdominoplasty incision.  I often use an umbilical incision for saline implants (TUBA procedure), so a larger abdominal incision makes it a little easier.  There is no risk of seeing the "trail marks" because small subcutaneous tunnels are not created, and silicone implants can placed as well as saline.  The real question is-- is a lift required too?  Often, patients who need tummy tucks may require a breast lift as well.  As long as a breast augmentation with no lift is appropriate, this approach makes sense.

Bruce Genter, MD
Abington Plastic Surgeon