What to Do About Too Big Breast Implants?

I had breast implants put in three months ago. They are 450 cc silicone gel implants. I am 5'4 and weighing 115 lbs. I asked for full C or small D, but my doctor gave me DD! I look HUGE! I am very very unhappy! My former breasts were C but they became smaller and drooped after having two kids. I can't afford to get smaller implants. I am so devastated. I don't want to get out of the house. What do I do?

I am afraid this is a very common problem.

+2

Hi!

450 cc's does sound way too large for you. 275 cc's or 300 cc's is probably about right. You need to have your breast implants replaced. In Manhattan, we don't charge a surgical fee for revisions if they are done within a year. (You are still responsible for the operating room costs and for the anesthesia costs).

This is a very common problem. To avoid it,we recommend using a disposable implant SIZER during surgery. Then the surgeon can see which is the best size for you before opening the permanent implants.

This was the surgeons bad decision

+2

There are many surgeons out there who do not appreciate the artistry involved in breast augmentation. Many like large breasts and therefore put large implants into their patients or just use the same implant for everyone. Also, many surgeons know that patients occasionally regret the size implant they chose and desire larger ones 6 months after surgery. I have patients try on sizers with a sports bra. This gives us a good idea what the aug will look like. It's all about proportion and how the breasts complement the buttock and the shoulder to hip ratio.

However, there's nothing you can do except get the implants remove and replaced with smaller ones. You will have to wait several more months until the capsule is fully formed. Then the existing implants can be removed, the capsule tightened and the new implants placed.

Make sure you put it in writing about your dissatisfaction with your surgeon and send him the lettered certified. The squeaky wheel gets the implants with limited added expense.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Choose implant size before surgery

+1

There is a fair amount of debate as to how to choose implant size. Some surgeons insiste on choosing themselves, either by using sizers during surgery or simply picking what they think looks right. A more common method is to have the patient try on implants and choose the size before surgery so they know exactly what they will be getting. Neither method is perfect. If your surgeon chose the implant size without any input from you, then he or she should work with you to make a change.

Richard Baxter, MD

Implants too big

+1

I am sorry you are unhappy with your new implants. The only choice you have if you don't like them, is to have smaller ones put in.  This is something I go over very carefully with patients in the office.

Importance of sizing before surgery

+1

Some plastic surgeons will have different philosophies but I have my patients place the actual implant into a sports bra so they can see something close to what they should expect from their surgery. You may have benefitted from a breast lift and a smaller implant if you were saggy before surgery. I know this doesn't help now but to go with a smaller implant you will probably need a breast lift of some kind. I would recommend you return to your plastic surgeon and discuss your concerns to see what your options are. Best of luck.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Going Smaller

+1
I am sorry to hear that. But really the only thing you can do is to have these implants removed and go smaller. What I do recommend is to have this done when you are about 4 months out from surgery. The longer you wait to go smaller the more surgery that is required, i.e. lift. Because the skin stretches and stretches the longer the larger implants are there so it is much more likely for you to get away with a smaller surgery and obviously less cost.
I see that you paid a large sum for your original surgery. I encourage you to see a board certified plastic surgeon who can discuss this with you further. The cost to remove these and put in smaller implants should be a lot less as there is less work than the original surgery. But again the sooner you do this the better you are off, I would not wait very long (about a month).
Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD