Breast Implants for Little Breast Tissue and Thin Skin?

I have a very little breast tissue for Breast implants. My doctor recommended Saline implants because I have thin skin. However, all the articles I saw online recommend Silicone for petite girls with little breast tissue. Which is correct?

Implant Choice for Thin Patients

+3
It is a bit more complicated than that. But in general if you are 22 years of age or older then it is a better option to have silicone implants as they feel more natural and have less palpable rippling. As far as saline implants go, the implants should be filled toward their maximal range to minimize the rippling.
As far as the whole profile bit goes, it all depends on what size you want to be and what look you are going for. That is where the profile comes into play.
Also if you have thin tissues, then placing the implants behind the muscle would be the procedure of choice.
Good luck.

Implants for thin patients

+2

Silicone implants are probably better for thinner tissues. Plus, I would probably place them under the muscle or via a biplanar approach to give more superior pole coverage.

Best option for women with thin skin and small breast

+2

Silicone gel implants or Saline-filled implants are both good options for you, regardless of how thin your skin is or how little breast tissue you have. There are merits to both. However, in my practice, I would recommend using silicone-gel filled implants placed behind the muscle to minimize rippling. But it is possible to get a good result with either type of implant.

Nirav Savalia, MD

Not saline if you have thin skin

+2

The less tissue you have to cover an implant, the more favorable the gel is over the saline.  Placed under the muscle using a smooth walled device, you should get the best result your body will allow.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast implants for patients with little breast tissue

+2

The likelihood of showing implant wrinkles depends on the TOTAL compliance of implant material+skin and soft tissue. A textured implant surface will make things worse by concentrating the implant deformation onto the skin adjacent to it.

A silicone smooth implant has lower compliance than saline. When placed under muscle above (pectoralis muscle) and laterally (serratus anterior and external oblique muscle origins) will almost never show ripples. I have done hundreds of implants on very thin girls using this technique and the only complaint I have heard is that the patient can feel the wrinkles, but they cannot see them.

When the silicone implant is placed only under the pectoralis muscle, the wrinkles can show on the side and bottom of the implant. To avoid this I elevate the lateral portion of the pectoralis minor muscle, the distal attachments of the serratus anterior muscle and the origins of the external oblique muscle.

Saline has high compliance, so with little breast tissue, it will have the highest likelihood of showing wrinkles. Overfilling the saline implant to decrease the likelihood of wrinkling will yield a hard, rounded implant.

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

Moderate to low profile silicone gel implants under the muscle best for small breasts

+2

Visible rippling of breast implants is what you most want to avoid in small breasts with thin skin.

A moderate or low profile implant placed unde te chest muscle is the best option for the small breasted women with thin skin.

Saline implants almost always create visible ripples in thin small breasted women especially if placed under the breast gland.

See before and after photos of breast augmentation.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Best Breast implants for little breast tissue and thin skin

+2

Dear Lim,

There is NO perfect breast implant (or any implant for that matter). All breast implants may be palpable and their envelopes/shells ripple. The LESS breast and muscle tissues between the skin and the implant shell, the MORE such ripples are palpable and are visible.

In general, smooth implants display LESS ripples than textured implants and gel filled implants display LESS ripples/ridges than saline filled implants. (That would make a textured saline breast implant among the worst for use in a thin, small breasted woman , ESPECIALLY in the sub-glandular / over the muscle position).

I would STRONGLY advise you to confer again with your plastic surgeon and see if you misunderstood him/her. As you can see, the vast majority of my colleagues and I feel that a silicone gel implant placed in the sub-pectoral position is the way to go in your case.

I hope this answered your question.

Dr. Peter Aldea

High profile saline or silicone for thin skin patients with little breast tissue

+2

Yes it is true. Patients with thin skin and little breast tissue are considered better candidates for either: 1) high profile saline prostheses to minimize ripples or 2) silicone gel filled implants. It is also preferable to place these beneath the muscle ot maximize soft tissue coverage.