Teardrop Breast Implants Above the Muscle for Slim Build?

I am booked in for Breast Augmentation in September. I am 5'4" and slim, weighing 53 kg, with small B cup. I also run about 4 miles per day. My surgeon suggested teardrop implants as he believes round implants will sit too high. The 2 sizes I am deciding between are 290 cc or 330 cc teardrop placed above the muscle. Is this suitable for slim athletic build? I am hoping to end up a medium C cup not a D. Can anyone could suggest the implant size for someone of my height and weight to acheive medium C cup? I would greatly appreciate it.

Teardrop Breast Implants above the muscle for slim build?

+2

Hi Mirrors,

Without a physical examination in which I could asses you breast skin tone, laxity and size, any discussion is purely conjectural and could not possibly super cede what your surgeon told you.

However, let me share my philosophy regarding your situation.

No breast implant is perfect. They all have positive and negative attributes. As such we need to know when we can push the envelope (no pun intended) and when not.

In general, in women such as yourself with a paucity of breast tissue (IE not much to cover the implant and its ripples), I would prefer to go sub muscular NOT sub glandular. The muscle will cover the top of the implant and give one more layer over the ripples ALL implants have (silicone gel LESS than saline).

Anatomical / tear shaped implants are usually textured (less movement in pocket / more rippling / earlier leaking) and come in both saline and gel. A few of them come short. Others the Tebbetts designed Meghan/Allergan 468 are full length - so without knowing WHICH implants your surgeon is referring to, I cannot comment on your / his choice.

Cup sizes are a notoriously inaccurate way to communicate since they vary between one manufacturer to another. Moreover, the EVENTUAL breast volume would depend on the breast volume you have now AND the projection and base of the implants impacting the added volume after the surgery. IN GENERAL, 300 cc - 350 cc implants will get you into the mid to full C range.

Teardrop breast implants

+1

Unfortunately the most commonly used type of implants (high profile) and the most common type of placement ( submuscular/dual plane) cannot deliver the natural 'tear drop' effect that you desire.  There are also big problems associated with anatomic implants placed in conventional planes( they work well in subfascial carefully designed pockets).  This is why I use a very unique methof of breast augmentation that I call 'cold-subfascial augmantation.'  the placement of the implants is not 'above the muscle' or subglandular, nor is it submuscular or dual plane.  A very strong layer of connective tissue is meticulously and atraumatically dissected from the pectoralis major muscle and this tissue is used to shape and support a lower profile implant into a gentle tear drop shape.  It is the surgical dissection and not the implant itself that gives shape to the breasts.  The results sit like natural breasts and do not move like submuscular implants do with arm motion.  The fascia also supports the implant giving it relative protection from gravity and aging.  

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Rian A. Maercks, MD

Teardrop shaped implants

+1

I am not a big fan of the tear drop shaped impaltns because they can shift in the pocket and look funy afterwards.

I probably wouldn't use teardrop breast implants above the muscle

+1

If you are thin I would go behind the pectoral muscles, not in front. I am not crazy about anatomic implants as they tend to look kinda foreign, but that it a matter of opinion. Maybe get another opinion before you have surgery.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Teardrop breast implants are more likely to ripple.

+1

Hi!

Teardrop breast implants have to have textured walls, which are more likely to cause noticeable rippling, specially in a thin woman like yourself. Also, they sound too big.

Without examining you, I would guess you need round, smooth walled, moderate plus profile, 250 cc cohesive silicone gel implants placed under the muscle.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast Implants

+1
This is my opinion and we dont have pictures of you but if you are thin and dont have a lot of breast tissue I would place the implant SUBMUSCULAR not in front. This will decrease your chance of rippling.
As for the tear drop implants, they are textured and thicker shelled and more prone to leak, and rippling specially if you are thin and going in front of the muscle.
So you can think about this and perhaps get more opinions, but from what you tell us, that is what I would recommend
Good luck..

Farbod Esmailian, MD