Safe to Get Breast Implants with SVT?

I have always wanted to get breast implants and now that i'm done having kids i would like to get them soon. The only thing holding me back is i have SVT and am on a betablocker is it safe for me to be put to sleep and to go under the knife. I am 30, I also have Celiac.

SVT is not a contraindication for Breat Augmentation

+2

as long as your SVT is controled well by medication, and you are cleared by your cardiologist to undergo general anesthesis, you would be able to have breast augmentation

Generally, I would recommend that you have a full anesthetic assessment prior to any surgery if you do have an SVT.

+1

This will include a heart EKG tracing which will assess the rhythm of your heart.

The anesthetist would be able to give you a more comprehensive answer to whether surgery is safe in your case and perhaps may wish to discuss the exact nature of your heart rhythm with your cardiologist.

Overall, I would advice that you do fully discuss the implications of your SVT and possible surgery with your anesthesiologist.

Adrian Richards, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

SVT and implants

+1

Your SVT should not preclude your from getting implants.  Because this is an elective surgery, all risks should be minimized.  As other doctors in the forum have recommended, you should receive clearance from a cardiologist prior to surgery.  If you want to absolutely minimize risk, have your surgery performed by an MD anesthesiologist in a hospital rather than an outpatient surgery center.  There are more staff and facilities available in a hospital if an intraoperative event were to occur.  Best of luck!

Jason R. Hess, MD

Medical Condition and Safety with Plastic Surgery

+1

Your medical conditions do not necessarily prevent you from  proceeding with breast augmentation.

Of course, your safety must always be the highest priority.

Medical clearance from your Primary Care doctor and Cardiologist is necessary. Your Plastic Surgeon will want to be sure your medications are optimized and your condition is stable. It is reasonable to request a preoperative consultation with the Anesthesiologist (M.D.) who will be doing your procedure as part of your diligent preparation for a complication-free surgery.

With appropriate preparation, many women with stable medical conditions are able to successfully undergo elective surgery under anesthesia.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Safety in plastic surgery and breast augmentation

+1

If you are concerned about heart problems before general anesthesia and breast implants, simply speak to your primary care doctor, cardiologist -if necessary, and your surgeon.  Make sure you are using a board certified anesthesiologist and plastic surgeon. Further, make sure the surgery center is accredited. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation with Heart Condition

+1

Breast Augmentation surgery in our outpatient JACHO certified surgery center requires general anesthesia. Therefore, because your safety is our #1, #2 and #3 objectives, we require a medical clearance letter from your PCP and/or cardiologist prior to surgery. 

I have managed many patients through breast enhancement surgery with similar heart conditions and they have sailed through the procedure without any issues!

Good luck and I hope this helps!

Dr. C

John Philip Connors III, MD

You should be completely healthy and medically cleared for surgery before any cosmetic or reconstructive procedure

+1

Any person seeking elective, cosmetic surgery (or a reconstructive procedure, for that matter!) should be aware of all the potential risks and benefits, alternatives, expected outcomes and potential complications of surgery, and weight the risks versus benefits before determining whether surgery is right for them!

With "comorbidities" (medical conditions that require any type of medication, treatment, regular Doctor's visits, or a diagnosis that carries with it a name or prognosis), you should be medically cleared by your Family Doctor, General Practitioner or Internist BEFORE seeing a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to seriously consider surgery.

You must be absolutely open and honest with your Plastic Surgeon about all your medical conditions, their treatments, any ongoing issues or concerns, and medications, allergies and supplements/vitamins you take. 

The goal of your Plastic Surgeon for breast augmentation, or any other cosmetic procedure, is to ensure you achieve your desired result without creating any harm:  complications, illness, or even death!

Plastic Surgery should never been taken lightly.  Every surgery procedure is a major event and should be performed with safety as the number one goal.

Karen M. Horton, M.D., M.Sc., F.R.C.S.C.

Karen M. Horton, MD

Breast augmentation with underlying medical conditions

+1

Breast augmentation surgery is usually performed under general anaesthesia, and any underlying medical conditions need to be managed appropriately before undergoing surgery. Medical clearance from your cardiologist, along with pre- and post-operative recommendations, if any, should be obtained.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Women with medical issues may still have breast surgery...

+1

Medical clearance is necessary, likely from your cardiologist and/or your PCP, but many women with stable medical conditions are able to successfully undergo elective surgery under anesthesia. 

Carmen Kavali, MD

Safety in breast implant surgery

+1

It is wise that you are concern with safety when contemplating breast surgery.  Fortunately patients with diagnosed SVT can safely undergo anesthesia and surgery.  Just make sure you interview your anesthesiologist before hand to assure yourself that she/he is capable to handle your case safely and in an appropriate surgical facility.

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon