Long Term Effects on Breast Implants After Tennis Games?

I was feeling very good 15 days after Breast augmentation, so I broke the rules and played a doubles game of tennis. Now I am sore and in pain. How concerned should I be about the long term affects?

You will be fine.

+3

Hi!

Of course,you took a chance.  You could have caused a hematoma.  In Manhattan, we tell women not to exercise for 3 weeks after breast implants.

But if your breasts look fine, the soreness and pain will fade.  I doubt very much you did any lasting harm.

Tennis 2 weeks after surgery

+2

Not a good idea.  I usually have patients wait a good three weeks to go back to the gym after breast augmentation. At 3 weeks I allow them to perform light aerobic type activities. Swinging a racket or golf club along with weight lifting and heavy exercise should be avoided for about 6 weeks.

Good news, bad news

+2

Good news is that you recovered quickly and felt well enough to play tennis. Bad news is that you could have injured yourself or delayed your return to full activities. Your surgeon should guide your recovery activities. If your implants were placed above the muscle, you might not have any effects from the tennis. If the muscle needed to be released for under-muscle placement, you could re-injure the already "injured" muscle. I doubt if you could play tennis and then experience long-term injury. I suspect if you had injured yourself significantly, you would have had to stop playing.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

No exersise one month post Breast Implants

+2

I usually ask patients to wait 4-6 weeks before doing strenuous excersize. Walking is fine.  Ask your surgeon. If you are sore, I would use an anti-inflammatory med, but ask your doctor.

Good Luck!

Andrew T. Cohen, MD

As a general rule follow your plastic surgeons advice

+2

It is a good general rule to follow the advice of your plastic surgeon. Exercise in moderation will generally not cause a problem. I like patients to avoid any activity that causes the breasts to bounce up and down. This can affect the way the capsule forms around the implant. Tennis will certainly cause some stress to the breast tissues and muscle soreness is not unusual. If you have noticed no change in the shape of your breasts then most likely you are okay. If there is any question then you should make an appointment with your plastic surgeon

Effects on Breast Implants After Tennis Games

+1
Each surgeon has different guidelines for postoperative care. You should consult your surgeon as he or she understands the scope of surgery and the specifics about you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Unlikely for you to have long-term breast implant damage after tennis

+1

You are probably just sore from muscular spasm. I would have your surgeon take a look just to be sure, but it is unlikely you caused any long term damage.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Tennis anyone?

+1

Betsy,

As you've already heard, you probably have not done permanent damage to your results.  However, you should inform your plastic surgeon about what happened.  He/she may have some suggestions to help ease your discomfort.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD