Are Breast Implants Enough to Give Some Lift?

After pregnancy and breastfeeding my breasts are sagging a little bit (only 2 cm) and are empty in the upper part.

My Plastic Surgeon told me that he can put a small implant below muscle (I'm cup B and I want to become cup C but no bigger than that).

Do you think that: 1) a small implant under the muscle will give me some upper pole fullness or a small implant won't be enough to make some difference and I need a bigger one and 2) will this implant lift a little bit my breast so I won't need additional Breast Lift?

Breast implants do NOT lift the breast at all

+3

I am just going to say again that breast implants above or below the muscle, large or small do NOT LIFT THE BREAST! It is so common that patients want something for nothing - like a breast lift without having a lift. I can understant that because there are scars involved. But what I can't understand is why any good plastic surgeon would promote a lift with a big above the muscle implant. This will only look like a giant ball in sock in a few years and when the matronly look is no longer tolerated by the patient the tissues will be so stretched out that when the implants need to be downsized, a full lift will be needed when right now in a situation like yours probably only a periareolar lift is necessary.

Please, everybody, patients and doctors, stop thinking you can lift the breast without a breast lift! You can fill in the upper pole but you cannot effectively move the nipple up.

Will implants correct droopiness enough to avoid breast lift

+2

A small breast implant is the perfect solution to the emptiness of your upper breasts, but probably won't provide enough fill to obviate the need for a mastopexy (breast lift). With you only needing 2 cm of lift, though, you may be able to get by with either a circumareolar lift (incision around the circumference of the areola) or cresentic periareolar lift (incision along the superior margin of the areola), particularly in combination with a breast implant.

I'd recommend discussing this with your plastic surgeon. Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Sam Jejurikar, MD

Sometimes in the right patient

+1
95% of my patients who have been properly selected for this are satisfied with the amount of lift they achieve with implants. The right implants and technique can help you address mild to moderate sagging with breast augmentation alone, by taking into account the size you'd like to be and the amount of lift you require during the pre-surgery planning process.

These three things are considered to help give you the extra lift you require to make your breasts “perkier” without mastopexy:

1) During your breast augmentation, the breast implants will be placed directly under the breast tissue and above the chest wall muscle (in the sub-mammary position).

2) The best breast implants to use for a perkier result contain silicone gel that is more cohesive, such as the Allergan Inspira Truform 2 (formerly known as Soft-Touch gel). These implants are slightly firmer to maintain their shape better, but still retain their natural feel.

3) The shape of your breast implants should have more, rather than less, projection. Breast implants with a smaller base width will make your breasts project more forward from your chest wall and body, creating a more prominent contour. “Profile” is a synonym for projection, therefore look for high profile implants.

Generally speaking, larger breast implants can also help give a better lift, sometimes raising the position of the nipple by one or two centimetres.

Please see an experienced board certified plastic surgeon to find out whether you are a suitable candidate. Best of luck.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Breast lift with implants will look best with a lift if breasts are sagging.

+1

This can only be assessed in a personal consultation.  Typically, a breast lift will look the best with a lift. 

Augmentation and lift?

+1

If you are sagging, more than likely you will need a lift when placing implants. The implants only give you volume they do not tighten up the skin envelope.

Will breast implants give me a breast lift?

+1

Hi there-

Breast implants will improve the fulness and size of the breasts, but should never be thought of as a substitute for a breast lift if a breast lift is what you need to accomplish the more ideal shape.

Repeat this to yourself several times- The only thing worse than being unhappy with your breasts is having surgery, going through a recovery period, spending a lot of money, and STILL being unhappy with your breasts...

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Breast Implants for added fullness, NOT lift

+1

The implant will definitely give you more fullness. The exact size is usually best estimated by trying on the implants before the procedure and discussing your goals with your plastic surgeon. Implants will not give you lift. You will be disappointed if you expect this. It sounds like you may need a simple periareolar lift along with the implant. Good luck!

Parham Ganchi, PhD, MD
Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants over the muscle correct mild sagging.

+1

Hi.
Based on what you say, I would

a) put the breast implants OVER the muscle (you get much better correction of sagging that way), and

b) use somewhat larger implants. In New York City, we use sterile implant SIZERS during your breast augmentation to pick the best size.

Remember I haven't examined you. Maybe you also need a breast lift (with a circular scar around the nipple).

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast Implants should NOT be used as a Breast Lifting Device

+1

It is a Plastic surgery mistake to try and run around having to do a Breast Lift (Mastopexy) by using a large breast implant instead.

A Breast Implant will FILL the breast and give it more FORWARD projection. But, any UPWARD push / lift would be short-lasting and be gone as the tissues loosen and the implants (and breasts) sag.

If you would like more breast fill, then by all means have an appropriately sized and matched breast implant placed in. If all you want is a lift, then have a breast lift and the results will be better long term than having a short-lasting lift based on a breast implant. IF you would like BOTH more volume and a lift, the operations can be done separately or together.

To get a full understanding of Breast Lift and Augmentation Lift, please follow the comprehensive link below -

Dr. P. Aldea