Could Breast Implants Get Smaller with Time? over Years?

i had cohesive gel breast implants of 350cc size 1 year ago,and i've noticing significant decrease in size over the past couple of months,atleast a size dropped from my bra,im feeling more rippling and softening of my breast,breast MRI showed no leakage nor capsuler contracture, what could be happening?? i'd be more than greatful for any help.

Could Breast Implants Get Smaller with Time? over Years: Change in rib cage

+1

Slow leaks are possible but unlikely to be bilateral. We know that with time the ribs are remodeled by the constant pressure of the implant on the chest wall whch may account for loss of projection that you are observing.

Change in breast volume

+1

Difficult to say what your problem is.  If you lost weight, then perhaps you also lost some natural breast volume and that is perhaps why they appear smaller.

Breast Augmentation and Breast Changes

+1

Over time your breast tissue changes if you lose weight especially.  Even if you dont lose weight over time, the implants will cause changes secondary to the weight and you breast tissue will thin out.

Also your perception changes and you may think that they have gotten smaller because you have gotten used to them.

Hope that helps.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Breast implant do not get smaller without leakage

+1

You have noticed that your breast are getting smaller and this can be due to loss of weight,loss of breast tiisue or just perception of the loss . If the exam and the MRI are normal, you may have the breast tissue loss which can be normal changes.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants do not shrink over time

+1

There are a number of changes that occur in the breast tissue surrounding implants that can change the appearance of the breasts over time. Often this is perceived as the breasts getting smaller, but unless you are losing weight it is part of this normal process. The implants do not lose volume over time.

Richard Baxter, MD

Could breast implants get smaller with time? over years

+1

I agree in theory with Drs Rand, Aldea but I try to explain the POSSIBLE causes for the appearance of a smaller implant in a more global manner. The appearance can visually change with weight gain or loss, a slow leak in the implant itself, capsular fibrosis can alter the size appearance. Other factors are displacement of the implant to the lateral area, increased chest muscle mass, and any combination of the previous causes. Seek in person evaluation. Regards from MIAMI Dr. B

Breasts Change with Time

+1

i agree with Dr. Rand. All breast implant are associated with a variable degree of breast tissue wasting (IE atrophy) which gradually unveils more of the underlying implants and produces a saggier breast. With a MRI proof of implant integrity this unfortunately is the only explanation.

Are the implants getting smaller or are you?

+1

What you are describing sounds like your own tissues are thinning out and that the coverage of the implants is getting less making them more palpable.  The implants aren't changing, it's probably your tissues that are.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS