Suggest Smaller Breast Implants to Get C Cup?

I am scheduled for breast augmentation surgery on September 14 with Natrelle mederate profile silicone breast implants. I am a moderate B who's lost upper fullness from running and I am very lean. My doctor picked 286, 304, and 339 cc's for surgery. I only want to be between a small and moderate C. He suggested that the 304 cc implants will most likely be the fit, but I'm scared that they will be too big. Should I suggest the smaller implant?

Implant choices

+1

Choosing the right implant for you requires a physical exam and consultation. One way to check the right volume for you since you already chose the range, is to do a baggy test with the volumes you think will be right for you.

Breast implant sizes.

+1

Hi!

1) It is absolutely not your job to pick implants. You have to trust your surgeon to make this technical decision. Just make sure your surgeon knows you are afraid of being too big (a very appropiate fear).

2) Your surgeon should use disposable implant SIZERS during your surgery to find the ideal size for you. That takes the guess work out.

3) You may find useful information in the breast augmentation page of my web site.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Try a breast implant sizer.

+1

These implants are about 10 ounces. I would recommend that you try a sizer on and walk, run, jog, try different clothes on, ask friends, etc and determine if this is a comfortable fit for you.

Your surgeon should be able to suggest sizing techniques such as the rice test, or zip lock bag. If not breast implant sizer kits are available on line.

Choosing the right breast implant

+1

Most women realize that their "cup size" often depends upon the bra manufacturer. Many women can wear both a "B" or "C" bra from different companies and have the exact same fit. Thus, choosing your breast implant based upon this criteria is flawed as there is NO scientific basis for this.

As a solution, I have found that sizing with the implant in a bra is the "most accurate" means to determine post-op outcomes. Your doctor may need to adjust this according to your tissues, breast volume or skin stretch. You must remember that this is a "best guess" and will never be 100% accurate. No surgery can be controlled to that degree.

If you have any concerns, call your doctor and ask to "resize" in the office to help you feel more comfortable. These discussions are much better had preoperatively than after the implants are already in place. Just remember the biggest complaint with most women is "I wish I would have gone bigger." Good luck.

Vincent P. Marin, MD